Search the forum,

Discuss LTP crackle glaze protector in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Never gain. 20 minutes later got a banging headache and can hardly breathe and thats with windows and door open ! gotta be something better.

G

Gazzer

I had something similar to this 3M Maintenance-Free Respirator | NoLinksToThis
but it stank the whole house out, client had to go next door as it was so bad.

M

micko

Hi,
I’m just a DIY lad, I bought some LPT seal and tried it on one tile, It stank the house out and the boss pulled her face, I decided to scrap the idea and go with Aqua mix, I heard it was OK and water based, I was surprised to find there was no smell at all. I hope it lasts OK.

G

Gazzer

Aqua Mix products are usually good so I wouldn't worry about it. The client was supplied this LTP with the tiles so I had no say, although I have used their products before but never felt the smell was that strong.

M

micko

I had the colour intensifier I thought it was a sort of nasty diesel type smell, the kind of smell that would last for days and days. I never gave it a thought when I bought it. Is it common for seal to smell bad ?

P

Protilers

Evening All.........

I have to say I do have to giggle.....and this is why:

I have been doing a job that is crackleglaze 6x3......and today i started to grout the tiles with a light grey grout......and obviously the grout got into the glaze a bit...............

the contractor asked me to stop..........as it is NOT WHAT THE CLIENT WOULD WANT!.......but the client purchased crackleglazed tiles!!!....hehhehehehheee.....

anyway, I drove across London and got some RAPID ALL IN ONE from Universeal......great stuff!!! IMO........but although it reduced the amount of grout going into the glaze......as I suspected beforehand....
it did not neuturalise it!!!....

but here is the thing...........WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PURCHASE CRACKLEGLAZE TILES AND NOT WANT SEE THE CRACKLE!!!!!!!!

hhehehehehheheeeee...........

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I would think Lee that as crazing occured after tiles had been fixed and grouted, mainly due to sand and cement fixing. You would not get grout in the crazing/ crackle glaze. Just my opinion.:thumbsup:

P

Protilers

I would think Lee that as crazing occured after tiles had been fixed and grouted, mainly due to sand and cement fixing. You would not get grout in the crazing/ crackle glaze. Just my opinion.:thumbsup:
Sorry Phil....I dont know what you mean?

these tiles are hand made ceramics on a white buscuit that are visually "crackled" in the box......there was no "Ting,Ting Ting" after the event!.........
when grouting in an extremly light grey....IMO Obviously the grout got into the micropores of the crackleglaze....(as I suspected and presumed the client would want !).,..this aside

after applying the the sealer there was little difference IMO.....it did "lighten" the effect but did not neuturalise it.....

and goes back to my original point........why purchase crackleglazed tiles if you dont want a bit of a crazing effect?

hehhehhhhhehehehehee

all the best

Lee

G

Gazzer

I had to seal before and after but I tried putting grout on a few unsealed tiles and it made no difference. Personally it was a waste of time as although the tiles were definately crazed it was more so in the glaze than through it......oh and these were ting ting tinging all day !

P

Protilers

I had to seal before and after but I tried putting grout on a few unsealed tiles and it made no difference. Personally it was a waste of time as although the tiles were definately crazed it was more so in the glaze than through it......oh and these were ting ting tinging all day !

hahahhahahaaa...........I feel for you......I am in the same pooopoo.....but seriously, why would you purchase crackleglaze tiles and not want a crazed effect?.......and I am familiar with the ones that "ting, ting ting".....and the ones that do not!!!!........the "ting ting tings" are more forgiving IMO.......you grout them and then they shatter!........

these have a "visual" crackle from the outset and dont do the "tinging".......hhehehehehheheheheheheeeee..........

hey Ramic.......fancy a pint or three?

hehehehehheeeee

R

Rookery

First time I used this on hand made crackle glaze ceramics, I sealed after fixing and before grouting. I was rather alarmed to hear the continued crackling, they even did that when I was washing off prior to grouting. However as The tiles were cream and the grout jasmine, they finished up ok.

G

Gazzer

Luckily my client did want the crazed look and tiling is done now. No grout got into any of the glaze but I still sealed but still dont believe it is needed ...not on this particular tile anyway.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry Phil....I dont know what you mean?

these tiles are hand made ceramics on a white buscuit that are visually "crackled" in the box......there was no "Ting,Ting Ting" after the event!.........
when grouting in an extremly light grey....IMO Obviously the grout got into the micropores of the crackleglaze....(as I suspected and presumed the client would want !).,..this aside

after applying the the sealer there was little difference IMO.....it did "lighten" the effect but did not neuturalise it.....

and goes back to my original point........why purchase crackleglazed tiles if you dont want a bit of a crazing effect?

hehhehhhhhehehehehee

all the best

Lee

Hi Lee, I meant that the crackle glaze tiles are a modern tile made to reproduce the effect of crazing on ceramics, which occured years after the tiles had been fixed.:thumbsup:

Reply to LTP crackle glaze protector in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen