Search the forum,

Discuss leveling off over a heating mat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spenny

im going to be starting my 1st job involving installation of an under floor heating mat. Other than pouring on a self leveling compound, is there any way to help me tiling over a bumpy surface(the wires)

I am worried that i may find lips on my tiles as a result of tiling over the wires!

Also, the existing carpet is thought to have floorboards underneath it, is it alright to put down the heating mat then tile, or will i need to put down ply wood?

G

grumpygrouter

SLC is the normal way to go, but some peeps use rapidset to skim level with.

As for the floorboards, normal floor prep applies. Is it strong enough, is it flat, etc etc.

S

smartile

make sure its flexible though ie latex or use adhesive and a plastic trowel. have just replied to your previous past re this.

S

smurf21

just done a 60m2 floor over ufh matting, used flexible slc first all over makes life much easier when you come to tile it use flexi addy and flexi grout also even if the floor is conc. it allows for the expansion of the hot and cold heating.
also check that the ufh is okay for a wooden floor eg wattage

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bigneil

when i lay Under-tile heating mat i never put it directly on wooden floor You are supposed to use an insulating board of some sort to protect the floor and to stop all your heat going down wards. i forget what the board is called or what it is made of LOL, im not too much of a techie.

Attachments

• M254_1_WarmupR Insulation Board.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to leveling off over a heating mat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen