Discuss Leave it for the tilers, let them sort it!! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Recksy

Hello my name is Recksy,

I am a self employed tiler based in south manchester with over 6 years experience running my own business. I am in need of some advice and heard about the forum so thought this was the best place to get it as you are advised by real tilers, with real experience not technical department or inexperienced shop assistants!

Has anyone ever used Norcross thick bed adhesive or Norcross pro 50 self leveller?

If so can these be mixed together? so you can, in effect level and tile a floor at the same time?
I have never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone else has?

Thanks in advance

Recksy

B

bugs183

Hi Recksy.
Sorry mate but no, never mix any different products together, unless they are specified by the manufacturer.
I knew a tiler that mixed Bal Star and Rapid together as it worked out cheaper and the floor would be dry in 20 mins, he did 100's m2 like this and it all failed.

B

Bubblecraft

Hi & welcome to TF. As above, fefo don't mix products unless specified by the manufacturer ie 2 part, GT1, AD1 etc.

Just level first then tile. It's your reputation against it if it fails

R

Recksy

Thanks for the replies this has been a great help as it confirms what I have told the contractor.
Also expansion/movement joints, can these be fitted after an overlay UFH system has been laid?

I am involved in a dispute with the same contractor regarding these points, so as many replies and details would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance

Recksy

G

Gazzer

You will be able to have an expansion joint in the tiling but of course not the screed.

R

Recksy

I did have to ask the question nybor62 because I have refused to tile a floor this way or put expansion joints in and also because of the overlay UFH boards which have been installed incorrectly and I'm getting blamed for holding the job up because of this and now he is trying to claim loss of money because he has missed his deadline.
Just wanted other opinions so I can print off to show him.

B

bugs183

Best thing then Recksy is explain the job you are on.
Tell us how the floor was prepared, what you were expected to do, what you did, but didn't agree with, and finally in what grounds the builder is using not to pay you.

R

Recksy

Ok, this was a barn converted into a very expensive hand made kitchen, the overlay UFH had already been laid on a concrete base tight to the floor, the tiles are supposed to be fixed directly on top of the UFH which means the boards must be laid flat and plum however this was not the case the boards have been laid that poorly there are different levels all over a 50m floor these range to 30mm at its lowest point but not a consistent drop, the boards are up and down. The contractor gave me a week to tile it, when I got there only half the UFH pipes had been fitted, he then asked me to fit the rest, I refused because I have no experience of this, so he had to wait a couple of days to get the plumber back to sort it out.
By now it was thursday So I told the builder I did not have sufficent time to level the floor (as he would not replace the poor UFH boards) and tile it to the best standard, so told him he would have to put the kitchen back, which he replied was not an option, he then rang me back and said he had spoken to Norcros technical dept and they have told him if you mix the thick bed adhesive and the self leveller together runny wait for 5-10 mins you will then be able to comb the floor and level at the same time! Bearing in mind these are 600x600 12mm thick limestone heavy tiles. I said I'd never heard of this before and told him again to put the kitchen back so I could prepare it properly, reply not an option, I also refused to put expansion joints in because of the state of the floor and UFH pipes, He has since said that he could not put the kitchen back because this would have been the 3rd time and would be charged for it, not sure how much, now because I refused to do it he's blaming me for him missing his deadline and said he would pass the kitchen bill on to me. To make it clear the builder owes me nothing as I have not done anything yet, normally this would not bother me I'd just walk away but I get quite a lot of work off him so its a bit awkward.

Just wanted to show him other tilers unbiased opinions and also to let him know that the timescale and his knowledge he gave was well off the mark.

B

bugs183

Sounds like a total bodge job, the builder doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing, or have any respect for the guys doing the work, personally i'd walk away from it, why should you be getting the blame???
If anything went wrong you can gaurentee this guy would be on your case.
I don't get why he wanted you to finish the wet underfloor heating off, thats mental?

K

Kia tiling

Sounds a right game... Why don't you give him a bill for your time so far?
if you really want to be associated with this guy tell him you'll do whatever he wants but you'll need written disclaimers to prove he's acted against your advice...

Reply to Leave it for the tilers, let them sort it!! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks