Search the forum,

Discuss how to install cutting wheel on vitrex expert 500 plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

djh

First post, so be gentle!

I'm just starting out tiling (DIY) and have bought a Vitrex Expert 500 Plus.

Now I'm feeling really dumb because I can't figure out how to install the cutting wheel. The instructions say"Remove outer nut and washer" and I'm stuck already. :(

I've put the spanner on the nut but can't work out how to hold the shaft still whilst I turn the nut. I've tried holding the big metal disc (is that the inner washer?) and I've tried using a screwdriver in the slot in the shaft, but neither give me enough purchase to be able to loosen the nut.

So I have the feeling I'm missing something!

Thanks, Dave

D

djh

I tried going clockwise without success. But I didn't try too hard that way in case I made things worse, and I'd expect the instructions to mention it. Also the wheel is to be installed with the arrow pointing anti-clockwise, which I think confirms a normal thread.

Thanks for the thought!
Dave

T

Time's Ran Out

4 handed job I think Dave.
2 to hold the cutting wheel - with gloves if necessary.
1 to hold the machine.
1 to turn the nut.

OR

1 to hold the cutting wheel - with glove if necessary.
1 to hold screwdriver in slot.
1 to hold machine.
1 to turn nut.

Been there often with old Rubi wet cutter after months of use and its fun!

D

djh

I haven't got that far yet, John! I've just taken it out of the box and am trying to put the wheel on for the first time.

I guess I can summarise your message as "brute force is OK and probably needed". I'll give it another go with extra wellie.

I tried phoning Vitrex but I think they're still closed for Xmas. Perhaps I'll take it back to the shop and ask, but I'm not expecting too much there (it's a DIY shed).

Cheers, Dave

D

diamondtiling

Use a set of mole grips on the wheel, clamp them on as tight as you can, use your spanner on the locking nut, as the wheel turns the grips will come against the tile bed and stop the wheel from turning, works on my Sigma 10m.

:thumbsup:

D

djh

Good news - problem solved!

I took it back to the shop where a suitably large screwdriver, a degree of brute strength, and most importantly their knowledge that it is a left-hand thread, turned the nut.

So thanks to everybody here, especially Alan & Matt. And ...

+1 for Focus, for fixing it for me
-1 for Vitrex, for failing to mention the left-hand thread in their instructions

Cheers, Dave

Reply to how to install cutting wheel on vitrex expert 500 plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen