Search the forum,

Discuss Hob Splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

beneprry

Hi,

I need to tile behind the hob. Given that there will be a lot of oil spits and the like, would porcelain be likely to stain?

Would an impregnator sealer be enough to stop potential problems?

Thanks...

M

Mike

put a stainless steel splashback there instead. about 60 quid from screwfix . thats what i put in my kitchen

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:To the tilers forum.

You must seal porcelain and indeed some state 'not suitable for food preparation areas'.
Ceramic may be better/easier/more choice for you.

B

beneprry

I already have some leftover porcelain tiles i want to use so not looking at a stainless steel jobbie or ceramic :)

I have been using Lithofin impregnator sealer so it sounds like that should do the job. No mention of unsuitable for food prep so looks good to go.

Epoxy grout. What's that and what's the benefit??

G

grumpygrouter

I already have some leftover porcelain tiles i want to use so not looking at a stainless steel jobbie or ceramic :)

I have been using Lithofin impregnator sealer so it sounds like that should do the job. No mention of unsuitable for food prep so looks good to go.

Epoxy grout. What's that and what's the benefit??
It's a 2 part mix that is completely impervious to fluids. More difficult to use but will give a finish that is easier to keep clean.

B

beekae

True porcelain tiles will not stain,and sealing is a waste of time and money,as their absorption rates are negligible.

G

grumpygrouter

True porcelain tiles will not stain,and sealing is a waste of time and money,as their absorption rates are negligible.
I have to disagree with your statement. Many "true" porcelain tiles have microscopic pores in them that can grab onto and hold materials that will stain and this is the reason they are sealed. I do agree that absorption rates are extremely low but that isn't the only reason for staining.

Reply to Hob Splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen