Discuss Here Goes, Redo Old Ensuite Thread. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

All seems a bit backwards to me, maybe ask for advice before going ahead?

I would have not wasted time skimming, I would have tanked the walls down to the floor, and tanked the floor if that's what you want, then put the tray In and siliconed it.
The tiling looks ok although the the back wall would have been better centralised.

S

scotmk

All seems a bit backwards to me, maybe ask for advice before going ahead?

I would have not wasted time skimming, I would have tanked the walls down to the floor, and tanked the floor if that's what you want, then put the tray In and siliconed it.
The tiling looks ok although the the back wall would have been better centralised.

I did tank the walls and floor and put tray in with silicon.

I kow the wall normally would have been centralise, but I wanted the pattern centralised up the shower, just personal preference for this room and that's how it worked out.

As for skimming, it's always best practise to skim a bare wall if using plasterboard no matter what the purpose is, if I was using heavy tiles it would have been backer board instead without skimming. This advise is from my father in law who was a 50+ year retired general builder who has installed 1000''s of bathrooms, so I will happily take that advise.

I welcome your comments though....

F

Flintstone

Fair enough, I've nothing against plastering and tiling on it. Plastering over tanking tho?

W

White Room

I did tank the walls and floor and put tray in with silicon.

I kow the wall normally would have been centralise, but I wanted the pattern centralised up the shower, just personal preference for this room and that's how it worked out.

As for skimming, it's always best practise to skim a bare wall if using plasterboard no matter what the purpose is, if I was using heavy tiles it would have been backer board instead without skimming. This advise is from my father in law who was a 50+ year retired general builder who has installed 1000''s of bathrooms, so I will happily take that advise.

I welcome your comments though....

Bathrooms have changed tremendously over 50 years, I once had a old builder try and advise me to render over finished plaster, was never going to happen.
You come on here for advise and totally rebuke some highly skilled tradesman who have given you the privilege of their knowledge.
Why ask if it's being ignored IMO

S

scotmk

Bathrooms have changed tremendously over 50 years, I once had a old builder try and advise me to render over finished plaster, was never going to happen.
You come on here for advise and totally rebuke some highly skilled tradesman who have given you the privilege of their knowledge.
Why ask if it's being ignored IMO

Whoa, slow down a little, firstly I joined the forum to scan about and have a general look and get ideas etc, I don't believe I have really asked for advise at all whilst doing this bathroom, I just posted my progress. Just like the last bathroom I did, I don't think I really asked for advise on that either.

If I was stuck and asked for advise I would have followed it. I can clearly see you lot are very good at your jobs.

Bathrooms may have changed a lot in the last 50 years and my father in law has changed with them up till retirement. Not 1 of his bathrooms has ever failed so why should I not take his advise? As stated before I have been on a few bathroom jobs with him in his semi-retirement and have learned a lot and they have all ended great with a happy customer.

Just to note, I don't believe I have rebuked any advise on this post (even though I never actually asked for any). Localtiler questioned the plastering and tanking and which way around I did it and his recommendation and I confirmed that was actually the way I did it as stated in my post.

S

scotmk

Loads done in the last few days. All tiled and grouted, unit installed, cabinet installed and shower door/screen installed.

20160516_114423.jpg

20160516_160244.jpg

Reply to Here Goes, Redo Old Ensuite Thread. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks