Discuss Hardie backing board and chipboard in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read through as many posts as possible on the above before posting this as I know it's annoying for folk to answer the same question again and again. I'm about to begin tiling a bathroom floor 2mx2m in size (New build house 2yrs old). Chipboard flooring. Rather than rip the boarding up, given that its level and there are no deflections I can find I intend to use hardie backer 6mm (adhesive and screw fixing) as many on here recommend that as a suitable method to get the floor ready for tiling. My question is will the adhesive I use not create a moisture issue when applied to the chipboard? Is it recommended to prime the boards first? I see on the Hardiebacker video online he doesn't prime but rather than plough straight in I want to ask your advice first.

Thanks!

P

Perfect Tiling

Most of the chipboard flooring these days is moisture resistant so shouldn't absorb moisture from the adhesive.....however I always prime the floor first with the same make primer as the adhesive especially the joints. use a 5 - 6mm trowel spread adhesive and set the boards....stagger the joints and leave a 2-3-mm gap between them. Screw down and tape the joints with the Hardibacker tape. I usually flash over the taped joints and wipe over with a damp sponge. When tiling wipe the area with a damp sponge before putting down the adhesive....this removes any dust and stops the boards sucking the moisture from the adhesive too fast.

Reaction score
Most of the chipboard flooring these days is moisture resistant so shouldn't absorb moisture from the adhesive.....however I always prime the floor first with the same make primer as the adhesive especially the joints. use a 5 - 6mm trowel spread adhesive and set the boards....stagger the joints and leave a 2-3-mm gap between them. Screw down and tape the joints with the Hardibacker tape. I usually flash over the taped joints and wipe over with a damp sponge. When tiling wipe the area with a damp sponge before putting down the adhesive....this removes any dust and stops the boards sucking the moisture from the adhesive too fast.

Thanks for your reply mate, massive help. Good to see I’m at least on the right lines with this.

Reply to Hardie backing board and chipboard in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks