Search the forum,

Discuss Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ceekay

Hi Ash,
A couple of things. Im going to use hardibacker 500 in my ensuite. I will be fixing to 3 different surfaces, Block, Brick and 4x2 Stud. What will i need exactly in the way of fixings etc for these surfaces? Also I have been advised just to use the green coated moisure resistant plasterboard for the ceilings do you agree and if so i take it you can skim plaster this? If I decide to tile the floor should I use hardibacker 250 over t & g floorplanks? I take it you cannot skim hardibacker if you wished? And finally where can I buy it around the Bury, Lancs area including the fixings you will suggest. Alot of people who stock it dont seem to carry the fixings and tell you to just use adheshive and plugs and srews?
Hope you can help, Cheers, Keith

G

Gazzer

hey ash
Do you reckon hardibacker is as good as ply for overboarding,as i have an old victorian lounge to do in travertine 600 x 450 and was going to ply it after checking floor strength of course, and how thick are the panels regarding ridgidity

ta
breton

If the floor is solid and free of deflection then backerboards are the way to go. If the floor is "bouncy" then strengthen it before laying backer boards.

D

DazJWood

We dont recommend tanking our board....it will affect the bond between the board and the adhesive....theres not much point anyway as our board will "soak" up any water and will not be affected by it...

:yes:

This is an interesting reply because I asked the very same question, (around the beginning of the year - 2010), via an email to Hardie and received a reply saying that tanking would be beneficial in order to waterproof the area where it was being used.

I would like to understand how it affects the bond between the board and the adhesive because I now have Homelux matting installed over Hardiebacker in my shower area on the advice of Hardie. This also has heavy travertine tiles installed. Should I now be worried? And why is differing advice being given out?

Daz

T

terrycoe1

We dont recommend tanking our board....it will affect the bond between the board and the adhesive....theres not much point anyway as our board will "soak" up any water and will not be affected by it...

:yes:
just asked this exact question ! if it was a wet room would you tank and if it was like a shower over bath you wouldnt reccomending tanking ??

W

White Room

just asked this exact question ! if it was a wet room would you tank and if it was like a shower over bath you wouldnt reccomending tanking ??

If the shower is in heavy use the Hardie will soak up water but it can only soak up so much before it has to release the excess...to the ceiling underneath the shower room.

Reply to Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.