Search the forum,

Discuss Hardibacker laid with no adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The chipboard is flat, has no deflection and is in a kitchen. It covers approx 11sqm.
A Hardibacker rep as stated that Hardibacker boards can be laid directly onto 18mm chipboard and screwed down. If the chipboard is flat there is no need to use addy.

Is the above true?

Also, I’ll be using Fastflex next week. I have told the customer I have to buy a special solid bed tipped trowel for spreading Fastflex so I added £20 to the estimate. They came back and said they will not pay for it. It’s ok to use a 10MM half round trowel for laying 500x500 tiles?

Cheers
Sean

W

White Room

I've never used hardie on the floor without any adhesive between the two surfaces, I'd be back skimming the tiles, use your trowel and lift a tile and check the coveradge, if your not getting good coveradge use a bigger trowel

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i wouldnt highlight to the customer tool prices in your quote it just gives them the chance to say im not paying for that.just add it in your price:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

if the chipboard has minimal movement then it should be fine to screw down,why not go to less expense and use ply or is there a height issue?

don't think i would ever bill a customer for a trowel though,they are your expenses and can be re-claimed in your tax returns,if the floor is good for level then a 10mm u-notch should be fine!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if the chipboard has minimal movement then it should be fine to screw down,why not go to less expense and use ply or is there a height issue?

don't think i would ever bill a customer for a trowel though,they are your expenses and can be re-claimed in your tax returns,if the floor is good for level then a 10mm u-notch should be fine!

David, the kitchen is in (and sitting on the chipboard). Adding the thickness of ply, addy & tile would make too much of a step up from the hallway.

Take your point about the trowel, I only added it because this customer is paying a lot of money on materials for a good job. The chance of some other future customer opting for Fastflex (the expensive option) would be pretty slim. Cheers for your advice. Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not a floating floor is it..?

It's a long long story involving BAL Tech, Topps Tiles, Hardibacker and of course the customer, oh......and another tiler......and me.......and tilersforums. I've got another thread about this, but to answer your question I do not think it's floating. It's pretty ridgid and has virtually no deflection. I am going to overlay it with 6mm Hardi and use Fastflex. Cheers Sean

R

Rob Z

Hi Sean,

FWIW, one of my friends in the tile business is an inspector and consultant, and sees installation problems on the national level in the US and Canada. He says that backer boards installed w/o thinset underneath (as per manufacturer instructions) comprise a huge number or job failures, and are in the "Top Five" list of calls that are received at the TCNA (Tile Council of North America).

Unless there is something different about floor framing and Hardi in the UK, I wouldn't install Hardi without the mortar underneath it to give it full support.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

It's a long long story involving BAL Tech, Topps Tiles, Hardibacker and of course the customer, oh......and another tiler......and me.......and tilersforums. I've got another thread about this, but to answer your question I do not think it's floating. It's pretty ridgid and has virtually no deflection. I am going to overlay it with 6mm Hardi and use Fastflex. Cheers Sean

You not sure..? Are there any fixings in the floor..?

D

DHTiling

I'm not sure at the moment. The floor is covered in lino. Won't be sure until the lino comes up......next week. When I spoke with Bal Tec they said that even if its floating and there is no deflection they would use Fastflex.

That will virtually nil to achieve on a floating floor..i haven't come across one that hasn't had at least some deflection , especially around the edges and door ways etc..

But only you can make that call as to how safe it will be to tile...wait till you get the lino up before making a decision mate...:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

The chipboard is flat, has no deflection and is in a kitchen. It covers approx 11sqm.
A Hardibacker rep as stated that Hardibacker boards can be laid directly onto 18mm chipboard and screwed down. If the chipboard is flat there is no need to use addy.

Is the above true?

Also, I’ll be using Fastflex next week. I have told the customer I have to buy a special solid bed tipped trowel for spreading Fastflex so I added £20 to the estimate. They came back and said they will not pay for it. It’s ok to use a 10MM half round trowel for laying 500x500 tiles?

Cheers
Sean
Just out of interest Sean, the Hardie installation literature stipulates that you should use adhesive beneath the board. This fills any potential voids giving a solid bed. Not sure why the rep was ignoring his own company's instruction manual. :dizzy2:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just out of interest Sean, the Hardie installation literature stipulates that you should use adhesive beneath the board. This fills any potential voids giving a solid bed. Not sure why the rep was ignoring his own company's instruction manual. :dizzy2:
I agree Grumpy. I've done loads of researh on this one, and was very surprised with what the Hardi rep has stated. I personally did not speak to the rep, it was the Manager of Topps. This is a Topps Approved Fitter job so it's guaranteed by Topps for 12 months. I have already advised using addy under the Hardi. The rep stated that if the substrate was flat then there is no need for addy. If the substrate were floorboards, well then thats a different story. Cheers Sean

S

smurf21

not 100% sure but i think you will find that not installed correctly ie addy under hardi then any guarantee by hardiebacker is void check it out.:thumbsup:

Reply to Hardibacker laid with no adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen