Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grouting sawn sandstone internal in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Markem

Hello new and in need of help. Fixed a sawn calibrated(30mm) sandstone floor onto anhydride floor using anhyfix. Looks lovely but now need to grout... Cleaned stone with water then sealed with swift seal (as supplied by quarry). Trial area of grout has slightly stained stone. Could anyone advise how best to stop further staining? Was thinking of using masking tape ( to minimise contact) and BAL protective sealer to fill pores. Grout joint is 5mm & using grout 3000. Flags are 400mm wide and random lengths. What's the best way to do this... Many thanks

J

Just Rizzle

I would use a grout or maisonary morter gun about £25 from screw fix also how many coats have u applied may need 2?

M

Markem

Hello, used 1 coat of sealant (as specified) but I wish I'd done it twice now. Thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

If it stains with grout it's going to horrendous with everyday use.
More seal would be the order of the day for me.

M

Markem

Hello David, I see you are based in Newton Aycliffe. I live in Staindrop. If you are interested you could give me a quote for doing it. About 35m2 of tiles (nominal 700mm *400mm) but random lengths. They've been down about 2 weeks and sealed 1 day. I work away from home and the grouting is more of a pain than I expected (never tried to grout sawn rough stone before). You can give me a ring on 07968409803 or 01883660406

Cheers Mark

M

Markem

Yes - very good point. The sealer was supplied by Dunhouse quarry - "Swift seal". Solvent based. Has anyone any experience of it?

O

On one

Seal, seal and seal again. Not only for easier grouting but easier future maintenance

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have never been able to get the grout gun working always found the moisture leaves the grout and blocks the gun. Do you have to knock it up a bit sloppy?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It needs sealing a good few more times, if it's rough sawn. It's very porous, once is not enough..
I've just used some RRstone porous sealer, (its RR stones own branded sealer)it's like glue when it's poured, great stuff, a warning if you use it though,Mr jockey here forgot his gloves, so Mr jockey here has had some extremely sealed hands for the weekend [emoji51]

M

Markem

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The sealant I used was very thin so obviously penetrating. Interestingly cleaning the tiles was fairly easy prior to sealing ( 2 weeks of dog footprints) so I wasn't expecting grout to be so much of a pain. Don't feel I can change the sealer type (reaction?) to a thicker surface type. Plan is to seal twice more then add bal protective seal. This is water based and washes off. Then grout with a bag (funnily enough wife's suggestion). Does this make sense? Else get someone else to do it!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello David, I see you are based in Newton Aycliffe. I live in Staindrop. If you are interested you could give me a quote for doing it. About 35m2 of tiles (nominal 700mm *400mm) but random lengths. They've been down about 2 weeks and sealed 1 day. I work away from home and the grouting is more of a pain than I expected (never tried to grout sawn rough stone before). You can give me a ring on 07968409803 or 01883660406

Cheers Mark

Hi mark , I'm a tad too busy ... But thanks for the offer.

M

Markem

No worries. I'll have another 30m2 of the Same stuff to install after Easter (stage 2 of build in another room). If that fits with timing I wouldn't mind a quote for full job i.e laying and grouting & sealing. Nice stuff - made to order by Dunhouse quarry. Quite heavy though circa 35 kg per big tile (at least for me...)

Reply to Grouting sawn sandstone internal in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks