Currently reading:
Grout problem

Discuss Grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pcsparky

I've made a gross schoolboy error. Had all my tools out ready for the job. Tiling went well. Grouting went well, EXCEPT, I forgot to rub over the grout with the tool to remove the excess and leave a nice concave surface. :oops:

The grout has been on for 2 weeks and obviously hardened and I simply hadn't noticed my error because the tiles are white and hide it pretty well. However, I'm not satisfied.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this, perhaps a hard enough tool to rub over the grout. Tried the plastic ones but the grout is too tough and simply rubs away the plastic.

Here's hoping :helpsmilie:

D

DHTiling

I've made a gross schoolboy error. Had all my tools out ready for the job. Tiling went well. Grouting went well, EXCEPT, I forgot to rub over the grout with the tool to remove the excess and leave a nice concave surface. :oops:

The grout has been on for 2 weeks and obviously hardened and I simply hadn't noticed my error because the tiles are white and hide it pretty well. However, I'm not satisfied.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this, perhaps a hard enough tool to rub over the grout. Tried the plastic ones but the grout is too tough and simply rubs away the plastic.

Here's hoping :helpsmilie:

I prefer a full joint of grout and not the raked back concave like you mention, this IMO will just attract muck etc to settle in the joints, a nice flush joint is easier to keep clean.

Have you washed the joints or just grouted and forgot to tool in.?

try Aqua Mix Sealer and Coating Remover it may work

You sure..:):):)

ailill

TF
Ireland
Hi pcsparky,
I have seen & cleaned many times before grout left to dry over tiles.
I used a cleaning product from Lithofin & LTP, but it needed lots of scrubbing. I used on some tough grout spots /left on the tiles/ window scraper and it helped big time, only it is very slow.
On natural stone I have used a 120-150-180 grid water resistant sand paper, depending how bad the left grout is. Also, I am using for cleaning left to dry grout on tiles a solvent based sealer which kind of dissolved the grout and then it is easy to clean it.
/this sealer only penetrates the natural stone and does not leave any film and it is not sticky/.
Try on a small area first and if successful then try on the rest.
If it is a glazed tile is easier to clean it, though some grout tend to leave stains when not washed well /i.e Ball anti-mold white flex/.
Hope you get it done right :)

All the best!

Y

YourTiler

@ pcsparky

Am I right in thinking you want to "reshape" your grout to give you a slightly concave effect to the grout?

If so, and I'm not reading the question wrong, plus I've had a couple of beers. :smilewinkgrin: well it has been a sunny day - I have a rounded off screwdriver I use as a back up if needed
Just drag down on your lines, and across This should, could take out enough to give you your desired finish

I

Ian

The grout is hard in the joints lads and this member wants to reshape.. and not clean up grout haze.. that is my taking on it anyway.:)

That's how I read it, it sounds like the tooling/striking of the joints hasnt been done. Scraping away at the joints wont do any good, it either needs raking out and start again or filing/sanding to the desired finish.However, if the grout is white I don't see how it can be sanded back and still keep its bright white colour. Not a straight forward solution.

Reply to Grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.