Currently reading:
Grinding confusion

Discuss Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Lee T

TF
dorset
Start the other end and pull it thro the tile. Blade cuts right way and dust is thrown away from you.
If the grinder snags, it comes toward you and your instinct will grip it tighter.
It's much safer and that's how the majority of stone guys use them.
I've been using a grinder Ike that for over 10 years now and it's much better once you get the hang of it.
And it's easier to see your cut line.
Not being able to see the guard close up in the video, I can't quite tell what you can and can't see, but you'd just have to compensate with tha marking of your tile so that you can run the guard along it.
That's how I was taught to use the grinder over 20 years ago now keeps dust going away from you as you cut

O

Old Mod

no line of sight surly?

:arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:

IMG_7714.PNG

T

Tile Shop

I know some people don't rate them, but i now have an ND180..... why did i purchase that i hear you ask?........ because it was HEAVILY discounted through work. Got it for even less than cost. My job has some perks. The tiles i got for nothing :)

So tried this cutter..... Its ok for ceramics, but will struggle if used constantly for porcelain. Main reason I got one is that I was planning to mitre all the corners on the kitchen tiles, so the the tiltable bed you would think would make the job a walk in the park.

Nope.....

No matter how hard you clamp the guide, the slightest bit of pressure moves it. I read someone elses review somewhere and they had the same issue. I thought his was just a faulty machine or guide, but it actually seems to be a bit of a design flaw. I have used the ND200 in the past. It was lovely...... silly me for thinking this was just a smaller version with a smaller wheel, and smaller motor. The whole thing just feels really cheap and flimsy in comparison. Leagues apart.

Ok, so you may be alright with manually marking the tile to do you angles cuts (if you're prepared to duck down, eyeball the cutting progress and get a face full of sh1tty water before wiping all the crud off and leaving the tile to dry a little before fixing), but there are easier, less messy ways.....

If you want to wet cut small ceramic tiles, without a guide and have a steady hand to manually push your mitres through, this is the machine for you...... BUT..... Even after only paying the "less than cost" £40 for it, I still feel a little ripped off, disappointed and deflated.... so much so I may have to wander off, a defeated man, the hopes and dreams of achieving something great trampled beneath my footsteps...... and resort to using trims :(

Thanks for nothing Rubi!

Reply to Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement