Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grinding confusion in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

This is probably going to seem like a very stupid question, but I gotta ask, because i've seen something that goes completely against something else i was taught a while back.

When grinding a tile, I always make sure that the blade spins down onto the tile. I was told years ago that if the the blade spun upwards, it can lift the glaze or cause chipping. It would also throw dust up in the air instead of down to the floor.

But the genesis dust extractor, requires that the blade spins upward to unsure the dust is directed to the exhaust port...... surely meaning the cut won't be as clean?

Confuzzled and would like your thoughts.

Ta

F

Flintstone

Depends on the way your cutting it, a cutter with a wheel mounted on the bottom which cuts from the back of the tile, they don't chip the tile.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have the festool grinder and that cuts upwards also I always scribe a line first if I use it but I've not used it that much

T

Tile Shop

I always have it the other way (blade on the left) so the dust is thrown under the tile, but concious of the dusty mess it leaves. Thats why i'm looking for something like this.

F

Flintstone

I have my grinder the other way. Blade on the left and yes it does make a mess of the floor and your leg. I've had a wet leg today. For me the beauty of the grinder is its manoverability and its convenience etc, I think putting a hoover in the equation might cancel that out!

O

Old Mod

Better still. Theres a video
Start the other end and pull it thro the tile. Blade cuts right way and dust is thrown away from you.
If the grinder snags, it comes toward you and your instinct will grip it tighter.
It's much safer and that's how the majority of stone guys use them.
I've been using a grinder Ike that for over 10 years now and it's much better once you get the hang of it.
And it's easier to see your cut line.
Not being able to see the guard close up in the video, I can't quite tell what you can and can't see, but you'd just have to compensate with tha marking of your tile so that you can run the guard along it.

Reply to Grinding confusion in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks