• Thread starter diamondtiling
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 792
  • usa

Discuss George hits the jackpot! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

A pensioner from Crewe was last night celebrating with friends and family after finding a straight piece of wood in his local B&Q store.

George Clayton 82, a retired scaffolder and keen diy enthusiast popped into his local store to buy a length of 2x2 planed timber to finish off a stud wall he was erecting at his Cheshire home.

"It really didn't hit at first" he told local reporters, "I've been buying timber from here for years and nothing like this has ever happened. I just picked this piece up from off the rack, closed one eye and looked down its length, more out of habit than anything else.
When I saw it was straight, I couldn't believe it. I checked it again, then turned to my wife and said "Your not going to believe this, but I think we've got a straight bit"

Shaken

George's wife Nellie 79, was so shaken that she almost collapsed and had to sit down on a nearby display of green plastic patio chairs. "I was trembling like a leaf" she told the reporters later. "You read about people finding straight bits but you never think its going to happen to you".

Despair

Seconds later George's jackpot joy almost turned to despair when after reaching the checkout he was told the timber didn't have a barcode. The woman assistant suggested he take it back and get another one.
"I was gutted" he said, "But I put my foot down and told them, "No I'm having this one, its Wednesday and I want my pensioner's discount".

Tannoy

George and his wife spent the next four hours standing by the till while repeated requests were made over the tannoy system for a member of
staff from hardware to come to till 23. "By this time the queue was out the shop, across the car park and halfway around the local trading estate, but nobody seemed to mind waiting. "They all just wanted to see my piece of straight timber," said a jubilant George.

Spotty Kid

Eventually a spotty twelve year old female turned up with a stock catalogue and after half an hour managed to locate the item in the book. The bar code was then manually entered into the till on the third attempt and George was able to take his rare item home with him.

Fame

News of George's fortune quickly spread and on leaving the store he was mobbed by a crowd of well wishers before being driven away at high speed by a waiting London tabloid newspaper.
Meanwhile in another paper a former girlfriend "Maggie O' Toole" has branded George a "love cheat and a rat" and revealed that handyman George was a flop between the sheets during the couple's stormy and steamy two week affair in 1958.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I thought I'd found a straight bit at BnPoo last time I went in, but I had a hair in my eye :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to George hits the jackpot! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay