Search the forum,

Discuss Frame for backlit glass bath panel in wetroom - in metal? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ojtiler

Hi,

Am on the final straight of my wetroom project!

The wetroom is fairly small (2.5x2.0m) and there is a bath fairly close to the shower area, so I am expecting the bath is going to be splashed by water when taking a shower.

I want to fit glass panels to the side and end of the bath and behind the glass I'll be fitting IP65 LED strip lights.

I am obviously concerned about the risk of water making its way behind the glass bath panel and rotting the frame (if it were made of standard wood). So - I am considering making the frame for the glass panel from metal. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy metal section suitable for this application?

Would appreciate your thoughts.....

Thanks.

D

DHTiling

You don't want to be using timber anyway... you can get fixing kits for screens..?

J

JFRWhipple

We have done some work here in Vancouver with LED lighting and used them in a shower environment. I'm working on one right now in fact, a side lit LED glass shelf. I used the UChannel that accepts the glass and some Kerdi Fix to seal it up. The glass was first attached to the UChannel with clear silicone and allowed to dry and later tied the showers tanking into the UChannel with Kerdi fix.

Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 8.26.58 AM.png

That's my Chubby at work in the picture. Seven incher I hat to snap... :)

JW

O

ojtiler

Many thanks for your replies.

Dave - any idea where I could get hold of the screen fixing kit you refer to?

JW - thanks for the post including the photo - that's given me an idea about how I can do my job. I would ask you which supplier you got your 'U-channel' from but I can see that you're in Canada. Thanks anyway...

O

ojtiler

All,

An update for anyone looking at this thread wondering what the solution was! In the end, I fabricated a metal frame for the mounting by using 2"x1" U section aluminium. Not available from DIY stores, but I found some quite easily from a metal supplier in my area - the Montrose Group.... think they have nationwide coverage..

Reply to Frame for backlit glass bath panel in wetroom - in metal? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen