Search the forum,

Discuss Floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gareth1

Hi,

I've been reading about preparing a tongue and groove floor for tiling but I'm still confused about what to do. I want to tile over floorboards in my bathroom preferably with travertine tiles. Can I just overboard with 6mm or 12mm Hardibacker?

Thanks,
Gareth

G

Gazzer

You need to make sure that there is no bounce in the floor before you do anything.

G

Gareth1

The floor feels sturdy to me but I'm not experienced. I tried filling a glass of water to the brim, placing it on the floor, and walking around it. None spilt and there was very little to no movement of the surface. The water moves a little if I jump on the floor but not by much.

With regards to height, I can raise the floor if needed and I'd rather overdo the job than do it twice. The only slight problem is the step up entering the room - the WC soil pipe etc. will be OK. I'd like to minimise the step if possible though.

W

White Room

If you feel the floor is sound I'd go for the 6mm hardie glued and screwed...

G

Gareth1

I'll use 6mm hardie then.

To stick the boards down, would using a 6mm square notched trowel and a rapid setting flexi adhesive be right (putting screws in while the adhesive is wet)? I have some BAL rapidset flexible left over. Should I prime the floorboards with SBR?

Thanks,
Gareth

Reply to Floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey guys I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve got an old Victoria house with 20mm first floor floorboards. They’re in quite good...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen