Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Exterior tiling project in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I went to look at a job yesterday where someone wants a tiled patio. They like the idea of this instant patio system. They have a large decked area there at the moment.

Problem is..........there's a listed sycamore tree in the garden that is causing a few issues. I think a concrete base would not be suitable because of the trees roots. Ah, and the fact that the tree is listed!

My solution is to build a timber platform, essentially raised on stilts. But they want the floor tiled. Can anyone help with what to use to board the "platform" so it can be tiled over?

I went out to this one under the impression it was a decked job and a patio area. Not a combination of both! Any help much appreiciated.

P

Protilers

dont sound good to me.........do you have any pictures?............that said if its outside.....I would want a concrete base.....not your strutted timber thingy.........IMO.....

S

Spud

My suggestion would be 300x300 brick support piers surrounding the tree roots ,concrete lintels tied into the building creating a concrete lintel raft with blocks and beams, 60mm unbonded screed over this laid to falls and steps down to the area not affected by the tree roots it will need some sort of fascia or tiled aprons but with the right materials could make a nice feature

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Here's the two best pictures i've got:

Deck.jpg Tree.jpg

Decked area is 8m x 3m. I cannot risk harming the tree as it's listed so digging down to put a solid base in i think (given the size of the tree) is not an option. But if i could raise a decked area i'd only have small areas to dig down to put supporting posts in. I can make the framework solid, and IF overlayed with marine play 18mm would be deflection free.
The tiles (i'll try and find a link to them) are these "instant patio" tiles. They have a grid on the underside so they click together. I don't know if perhaps gluing a decoupling membrane over the whote construction would maybe be a good idea of conquering any movement over time effecting the tiles and also waterproofing perhaps?

P

Protilers

My suggestion would be 300x300 brick support piers surrounding the tree roots ,concrete lintels tied into the building creating a concrete lintel raft with blocks and beams, 60mm unbonded screed over this laid to falls and steps down to the area not affected by the tree roots it will need some sort of fascia or tiled aprons but with the right materials could make a nice feature

now that sounds good.........block and beam supported by brick pillars.......great........

P

Protilers

haahahhahahahaaa.....just seen the photos..........dig up what you need to........dont get too close to the tree (as in 1m radius from centre of tree........)
dig up a minimum of 400mm........ add 200mm of compressed hardcore.....and then a 200mm reinforced (with steel mesh) concrete.......after that do as you will.......

if you can kill that tree.......i will tile for free....forever!!!!!.........(its an extremely established tree!)....IMO.......

A

Andrew Case

You wont kill the tree, but could the roots not affect the concrete base? Plants and roots etc will grow through anything.

As regards a timber structure, ive done a couple of decks before. Biggest being about 5mtr square.
Bored our holes for supporting posts every 3ft and concrete them in. Coach bolted joists across all posts. Then noggins every 16 inches.
Decking boards being about 22mm thick on top.
There is still bounce in the boards.

If you go down that route, then 18mm ply isnt going to be strong enough unless your support posts were more frequent and then you may aswell just dig down for concrete. Or overboard decking boards with ply.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew. That was the route i was thinking. Because the tree roots are effecting the ground in the garden i figured raising a platform would be the best option. I was wondering if i went down the route of plying over the frame, what could i then overlay the ply with to make it waterproof and add a little more strength.

Do you think 18mm ply back over the top but running adjacent to the first layer and then maybe durabase as a tanking and decoupling option? Maybe bed the tiles in a 2 part adhesive?

I know what i want it to look like, i have a few different ways of doing it, i'm just trying to make sure it's built to last.

I think digging in may cause issues in the future, like you say roots and the concrete. At least getting the platform off the ground will minimise the amount the roots effect the finished "patio".

All advice and ideas greatly appreiciated.

A

Andrew Case

Once the joists are in and solid with regular noggins then as long as the base thickness on top is 2 layers THEN the tiling starts, that will be fine I think. Should be solid.
Make sure to use pressure treated timber and if poss soak the posts where they enter the ground in creosote or substitute. Belt and braces.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Allister, give Hardi a buzz.
Sure they do external panels : 3050 x 1220 x 8mm

Reply to Exterior tiling project in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks