Currently reading:
Exterior patio help

Discuss Exterior patio help in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,I need some advice on a exterior patio I have been asked to tile.I have been tiling for approx 3 & half years & have undertaken a lot of interior floors but not outside.The slab to tile on is approx 15 sq meters & is a rapid set fibre based screed which has been down for 4 months & the tiles are 900/450mm by 20mm thick porcelain.My thought process at the moment is to prime with bal primer & the adhesive to use would be bal flex fibre plus as is semi rapid & allows for up to 20mm depth.I would be using a 15mm round notched trowel & back buttering.My questions to you are would you see this as the correct methods & materials for external & would you use a anti fracture mat or is it not needed.I forgot to add that the screed is very flat & has the correct fall on it.Thank you for any help given,I have been lurking on this forum for a while now & it has been a fantastic help to me with the extensive knowledge given out.

T

Tile Fix Direct Marketing

Max tile and bed thickness for this product please

There are no restrictions to tile size or thickness with Green-Pro mat.

Kerakoll recommend BioGel Revolution rapid set adhesive - maximum bed thickness of 15mm compressed. If you need to build up more than 15mm beneath the mat then they would recommend a screed or levelling compound before starting.

Hope that helps :)
Ditra drain 8 needs a fall for the water to move through , if you apply your logic to a wet room You would say the floor doesn't need tanking as the water will just run down the drain.

Good point! :laughing:

Thanks for all replies,much appreciated.I will be using a membrane.I will be starting this job on Friday as it's an add on been asked to do do after completing 2 bathrooms & a large floor & would like to get done asap.Would dural be sufficient with a bal adhesive as bal state there adhesive when set can withstand up to -30.Probably a stupid question but is the membrane outside mainly due to the adhesive in freezing conditions as patios have been laid without a membrane for many a year without issues.I have been looking at the adped method for future reference & can't quite work out how that's different to dot & dab,is it purely the thickness of the slab that will stop it cracking.Thanks again.

J

J Sid

Bal
Screenshot_20190731-161614.png
Schluter say

There is no maximum limit to the tile/stone thickness that can be installed above Schlüter®-DITRA-DRAIN, providing the thin bed adhesive method is used to bond the tile/stone covering. The minimum tile/stonethickness above Schlüter®-DITRA-DRAIN is 8 mm.

With the thin bed adhesive method, the maximum adhesive bed above Schlüter®-DITRA-DRAIN is 10 mm.

J

Just Rizzle

I'm with harry , is nobody concerned about frost lift . Ditra drain 8 is my favoured approach
Just done a patio with adpeds but it is a 25 mm build up approx .
yes frost could be a problem in winter as bal flex bone is a non adhered membrain and breathable in my view most suited but will check with rep.
you can always add frost proofer to your addy

Reply to Exterior patio help in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement