Discuss Exterior mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Ok, commissions come in for an external mosaic for a courtyard garden, 1m x 1.5m. I’ll be using marble, limestone and granite tesserae (tiles) approx. 8mm – 10mm in size (regular 10mm depth). My preferred method is to have the pattern, in reverse on paper. Using clear sticky plastic (the type you cover books with) the tesserae are stuck face down. When complete Mapei mosaic mesh is glued to the back. When dry the mosaic is cut into easily handled panels, flipped over and set onto the baseboard, (the mosaic needs to be on a baseboard as it will rest on supports to give clearance underneath for drainage. I may need to insist the mosaic is supported with only channels left for drainage).
I’ll use Mapei Keraquick adhesive and colour enhancer and sealant.

1. I know PVA is no good for this to stick the mesh but what about a waterproof glue?

2. What can I use as a baseboard bearing in mind it will be outside? The base needs to be in one piece and it wil be walked on.

3. They want the mosaic to look ‘old’. One method I use is to use grey adhesive (Mapei Keraquick) as a grout. By using the adhesive when I clean the excess off it takes more out of the gaps between the tesserae thereby making it look worn down. Anyone see any potential problems with this?

Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

The main problem I would envisage is the different thicknesses in your materials and getting the surface flat by attempting to fix them to a baseboard.
Unless you are fixing them into a screed in situ, your design will have to be completed face up into a mould or face down and back filled.
Of course having all the same thickness materials is easier.
The project we are on at present is of similar size and its being constructed in one template.
What type of design is being undertaken?

Reaction score
John,
The tesserae are all 10mm thick but when you look at them from above they have a slightly irregular shape. The sides vary from 8mm - 10mm. Known as 'Antique' cut they give the appearance of all being hand cut. The pieces are tumbled so the reverse works perfectly.

I'd rather not put the design up at the moment until the client had ok'd it, suffice to say it is a central 1m x 1m panel with a 'star' pattern in the centre, 2 concentric circles (one with a wave pattern) and motifs in each corner. Each side of the panel is an strip of twisted plait. Basically a neat little geometric Roman pattern.

Ps Nice website you've got, some lovely looking pieces!

Last edited:
Reaction score
do they not use gum-arabik for fixing the mesh to the tiles,as long as there is plenty of each tesserae's surface-area to be in contact with the addy when fixing it will be OK :thumbsup:

U

user123

Lawrence, just to make sure.. What kind of traffic will be going over this, people walking, kids on bikes, rollerskates, wheelbarrows, what?

U

user123

In that case I would use "Sticks like Sh*t" from Evostick, just a small dot for the mesh, and let the adhesive to the rest of the grabbing. It really is very good, even sticks in wet conditions.

However, normally, with small pieces I am not a fan of mesh, as it can become the weak point with foot traffic, but if you want to use mesh rather than sink the lot into the adhesive, (that's what I would do, while flattening nicely) then that's the best glue out there IMO. Good luck :thumbsup:

Reaction score
In that case I would use "Sticks like Sh*t" from Evostick, just a small dot for the mesh, and let the adhesive to the rest of the grabbing. It really is very good, even sticks in wet conditions.

However, normally, with small pieces I am not a fan of mesh, as it can become the weak point with foot traffic, but if you want to use mesh rather than sink the lot into the adhesive, (that's what I would do, while flattening nicely) then that's the best glue out there IMO. Good luck :thumbsup:
great idear MG i've used it in swimming pools to bed tile beads on , and they have never given any probs :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check that out. The reason I use that method is that you can slice up the mosaic into managable sections and when it's flipped over with the clear sticky plastic on the top you can still see the mosaic pattern.

Reaction score
Here's the finished mosaic set in place. It's 1.61m x 1.2m. The tesserae are 8mm - 12mm. I ended up having to cut the pieces from 300mm and 100mm tiles. Next job is to get a commission which will pay for a Dewalt! That way I can cut the tiles into 8 - 12mm strips then just cut the individual tesserae with the hammer and hardie.

musivarius-albums-courtyard-mosaic.html

Ok I've tried to post a link from my album but it just comes up as a red cross. The mosaic is in the album here http://www.tilersforums.com/members/musivarius-albums-courtyard-mosaic.html

Last edited:

Reply to Exterior mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22