Search the forum,

Discuss Damp Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

This isn't really a tiling issue but someone may be able to help......

I have just started a job in an old single storey extension which was converted into a bathroom some time ago, on removing the tiles most of the pb came with it and was sodden (even in the dry areas) which was worrying to say the least. On further inspection the walls are single skin brick with no dpc and the water is pouring through the walls. there is no insulation so i was going to batten out the walls and insulate before putting a mix of cement board and pd on top. My question really is what measures should i take to remedy the damp before i reboard?

W

White Room

I would concider a liquid damp course this where the holes are drilled and a liguid injected into the holes to give a damp course..

Is the ground level higher outside of the wall which could be causing damp..it's the fact that you say it's pouring in...

Could also worth checking the cutters outside as well..

D

DHTiling

If there is no cavity then damp is going to be a problem.. A lot of out houses/coal sheds/toilets were single brick construction.. then peeps convert them but don't remedy the issue of damp..

A

AMtek

This is exactly what it is Dave. it is a single story extension which was originally a laundry room on one side and a shed on the other side divided by a wall. The wall was removed to create a bathroom at some stage but no sort of damp proofing was put in and now there is a damp problem.

Whitebeam, the ground level is the same as the floor inside the extension

A

AMtek

As far as i can tell there doesn't seem to be any damp on the floor at all, just round the edges where the walls meet the floor. No job is ever straight forward is it!

W

White Room

I'd be getting in touch with a damp proofing company/one man band for a survey just to be sure it gets sorted before you go any further..

A

AMtek

Thats what i was thinking. Can see her refusing to have it done and me having to walk away!

Reply to Damp Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen