Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Damage Control - advice needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Ravsta

TF
DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

First time on here, new to DIY and have my first challenge:
Decided to floor tile our first property and having done so with hardie backer boards and Lauara Ashley Dove tiles.
The floor had slight movement in certain areas, so we nailed down floorboards as secure as possible without me messing with the wooden beams below the floor. Also when tile I decided to apply https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ onto the back of the tile rather than the floor as I didn't want https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ coming through the gaps (as wanted tight finish without grouting). Realized after it would look better grouting, so grouted it....(poor planning all round, not enough research done I know...never again will I make this mistake with DIY)

To cut the long story short having tiled and grouted, now some of the grout keeps cracking and coming out on certain tiles.

What do you suggest my plan to manage these tiles going forward ? Should I leave constant re-grouting, allow the tiles to break if they do and replace if they do ? or should I start ripping up the tiles which I really don't want to do.

Any advice here would be much appreciated - I can attach photos late if necessary

D

Dumbo

Probably your grout is sat on top of tiles rather than in the joint is one reason it could be cracking also I expect your tile technique didn't promote proper adhesion to the hardy so may be letting go . Suggest you take one up to have a look

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
From what you say.........I can’t honestly see your floor lasting long........sorry :(

Reaction score
Full strip out and needs to be re done I’m afraid. Unfortunately with these things, we train for many years in subfloor preparation, tile fixing techniques and suitable products to use and that knowledge can’t be learned and applied easily on a DIY job. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it just takes a lot of research to do it properly when it’s not your forte. Pop a few tiles up and show us what you have. Sounds like a lot of movement.

Reply to Damage Control - advice needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock