Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting sqaure 'holes' in porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevee

i cut the face with 4" grinder on a workmate,i dont enjoy bending over either ,paid a handsome£5.70 for a cracking blade from machinemart

J

Jelthetiler

Blimey, some of you take risks using those small grinders.

Anyway, i have a bench wet saw that i use for virtually every precise cut. For sockets, i pencil the tile out first and cut the amount that my blade will allow along said drawn lines. My blase will just about go through the back of a 10mm tile before 'overcutting. After i have 'cut' my square (which is too small to fall out of the tile on it's own), i then wet cut across 45 degrees to the points of the square. By this time 6 cuts should have been done. You will then be able to tap the tile through the middle of the square, then tidy up inner edges manually.

I might sound a bit of a knob here, but i find that most precision cuts should always be done with water. Much kinder to the tile!

D

DHTiling

Blimey, some of you take risks using those small grinders.

Anyway, i have a bench wet saw that i use for virtually every precise cut. For sockets, i pencil the tile out first and cut the amount that my blade will allow along said drawn lines. My blase will just about go through the back of a 10mm tile before 'overcutting. After i have 'cut' my square (which is too small to fall out of the tile on it's own), i then wet cut across 45 degrees to the points of the square. By this time 6 cuts should have been done. You will then be able to tap the tile through the middle of the square, then tidy up inner edges manually.

I might sound a bit of a knob here, but i find that most precision cuts should always be done with water. Much kinder to the tile!

So would you mess about setting your saw up for 1 plunge cut..?

J

Jelthetiler

So would you mess about setting your saw up for 1 plunge cut..?

Most certainly mate.

I can cheat a little when it comes to filling the machine up though. I always keep a couple of bricks in the van, jack the back of the machine up so i only have to put half a bucket of water in!
Takes about a minute to set everything up, maybe 10 minutes to cut the tile.

D

DHTiling

Most certainly mate.

I can cheat a little when it comes to filling the machine up though. I always keep a couple of bricks in the van, jack the back of the machine up so i only have to put half a bucket of water in!
Takes about a minute to set everything up, maybe 10 minutes to cut the tile.

A tip!!....Put the pump in a bucket of water for single quick cuts....then you don't have to worry about putting bricks under the legs..:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

A tip!!....Put the pump in a bucket of water for single quick cuts....then you don't have to worry about putting bricks under the legs..:thumbsup:

I do the bucket of water thing, keeps your pump clean. Do any of you guys put a drop or two of fairy liquid in? Keeps my hands nice and soft to.(Not)

J

Jelthetiler

I do the bucket of water thing, keeps your pump clean. Do any of you guys put a drop or two of fairy liquid in? Keeps my hands nice and soft to.(Not)

Barrier cream mate. Keep it in the motor and put it on in traffic jams. My hands have taken a beating in the last 6 weeks, had to buy some different cream, Eucerin. Expensive but much better all round handcare.

Reaction score
grinder through the front, finish from the back. Good quality diamond disc essential though so it doesn't chip the tile edges.

Reply to Cutting sqaure 'holes' in porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen