Search the forum,

Discuss Confused self-builder trying to tile bathroom floor.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shell147

Hello, hoping somebody can help me out here as am now very confused with floor backing board options?!

We're building our own house and are finally at the point we're working out the floors etc. Want to tile our bathroom floor which will have wet water underfloor heating in it. Plan is to fix battens to the chipboard flooring, fit insulation between battens ( 400mm centres ) & then fit thermal spreader plates & heating pipes level to top of battens.

I then want to put something on top of the battens that is both firm enough for floor tiles and also non-insulating so the heat can get through to the tiles better. Everything out there as far as I can understand seems designed to be insulating and to go underneath the heating? Is there anything anybody can recommend or do I just stick with ply?

Any help would be great :)

Thanks,

Michelle.

G

Gazzer

Its not something i would class myself as being an expert in, ( The Under floor Heating part) but last year a builder i work for had his own house done with a wet system but the pipes were fastened direct to the underside of the chipboard floor. I then fixed No More Ply (brand name) over the chipboard and tiled the floors.
He has said he is very satisfied with the heat coming through the floor. I am not sure if he insulated beneath the pipe work but knowing him...probably not.

S

shell147

cheers both. Am trying with the tech guys of the underfloor heating but I'm a little worried since their expertise isn't on tile-laying. Doubtlessly I'll get a warm bathroom which is great but I'd rather one without cracked floor tiles!

Am now thinking about using solid insulation beneath the aluminium plates, on top of the chipboard floor, and then fixing some 6mm backer baord on top, what d'you reckon?

Reply to Confused self-builder trying to tile bathroom floor.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen