Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can ratios of tile sizes supplied for an opus romano pattern vary? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

harvest cottage

We purchased some Opus Romano and were expecting a ratio of:-
A -4 @ 406 x 406 approx 180
B- 2 @406 x 210 approx 90
C- 2 @ 406 x 203 approx 90
D -4 @203 x 203 aprox 180
see images of opus romano tile patterns - Google Search

we actually recieved a ratio of
A -3 @ 406 x 406 approx 127
B- 3 @406 x 210 approx 137
C- 1 @ 406 x 203 approx 45
D -4 @203 x 203 aprox 194
The supplier has now sent a different pattern using this 3,3,1,4 ratio, is this a correct opus pattern and known as opus romano. We would like to take it up with supplier but dont know if we have a valid case as we ordered opus romano (assuming there was a standard universal format) and did not get a plan until we requested it when we discovered the quantities were not as expected?

Also if the tiles measure 203 x 203 this does not allow for a joint line if used adjacent to the 406 as 2 x 203 plus a joint makes it wider which makes all the joints different widths is this also correct?

Can anyone advise us please.

H

harvest cottage

We have and the joints do vary from 3mm to 10mm. We prefer the 4,2,2,4, ratio have never seen the pattern on the one supplied, can they vary if called Opus Romano.

Thanks

M

Mike

i did a floor recently and the tiles were 200 x 200, 200 x 400, 400 x 400, 400 x 600 and 600 x 600. due to the size of these tiles and the design the grout gap varied quite a bit. as you can see when you have 2 smaller tiles next to 1 bigger tile there is no room for a grout line between the smaller tiles without varying the grout lines. as there an old/natural look tile you can get away with it

D

DHTiling

If you do not like the pattern and it was not what you expected , then return said tiles and seek elsewhere.

Some times suppliers vary pattern sets.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am assuming it's a typo and B) is 406 x 610 for your expected quantities for the Opus Romano design.
The sizes they have sent would not allow a true standard Opus design to be completed, as their are too many rectangular shaped tiles of the largest format piece, and far too few in the smallest shaped rectangular piece.
For the 58sq mts you have ordered, I'd make sure that I received the correct ratio!
Each set - as per your 1st quantities - will provide an area of approx 1.44 sq mts.

Reply to Can ratios of tile sizes supplied for an opus romano pattern vary? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks