Search the forum,

Discuss Black appearing on beige travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philstor

We had beige h&f and sealed travertine tiles put on the walls in the shower room 2 months ago and some of them have black marks coming through. It isn't mould on the surface that can be wiped off. The window in the bathroom is open most of the time. The tiles that seem to be worst are those on an internal wall.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this and whether anything can be done to stop is getting worse?

turnip

TF
Arms
Reaction score
photos please, sounds like a good one for sherlock holmes, thinking marks are in the filled areas not in the stone?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What substrate were they installed on?
As Turnip says, we need photos

P

philstor

I'm not near them at the mo but will send photo later. The black marks are appearing all over the tiles, so in filled areas as well as stone.

They were installed on hardi backer.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

have you contact your tiler who originally fitted them? It might be worth asking the fixer to come back and take a look for you. It's difficult to diagnose problems if we can't see the tiles.

D

DHTiling

My thoughts were mould on the substrate..but you used hardi backer..?..

next question as mentioned is ..what adhesive was used..?

P

philstor

Here's the photo, not sure of the quality - if no good I'll have another go later.

Not sure what adhesive was used - will find out from tiler (he has been back already and has no idea what the marks are)

Attachments

• tiles.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 90

Reply to Black appearing on beige travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen