Discuss Big bit of ply, or cut into smaller bits? in the DIY Tiling Forum | How to tile area at TilersForums.com

B

Bladd

-
What member type are you?
Homeowner
Hi

I am redoing our bathroom. I'm going to be laying 18mm plywood on the joists (16in centres, with noggins) and tiling on that using a decoupling membrane (Ditra 25). My plywood is 2440x 1220mm.

Is it better to lay the plywood in one big sheet or cut it into smaller sheets with 3mm gap between them?

I'm thinking about potential expansion issues. The 3mm gap between smaller sheets will act as a break for expansion.

Thanks

B

Ben-gee

-
Reactions
Bathroom Fitter
I’d stick to big sheets with gap at perimeters, better for rigidity.

MarbleArt

MarbleArt

TF
Reactions
Probably done it by now. I never recommend ply to receive tiles. Jackoboard or cement board would be my choice. And definitely fix in 1 piece if possible

J

Jon_Hall

-
Reactions
Homeowner, Marketing Department for a Tile Industry Firm, Sales Rep that could sell to Tilers, Support Rep (here to provide support only)
I agree with the above, the less joints the better. according to British Standards you will need to over board the floor with a suitable tile backer board, this should also alleviate the need for de coupling.

Reply to Big bit of ply, or cut into smaller bits? in the DIY Tiling Forum | How to tile area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DIY Tiling Forum | How to tile 1