Discuss Big bit of ply, or cut into smaller bits? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bladd

-
Reaction score
Hi

I am redoing our bathroom. I'm going to be laying 18mm plywood on the joists (16in centres, with noggins) and tiling on that using a decoupling membrane (Ditra 25). My plywood is 2440x 1220mm.

Is it better to lay the plywood in one big sheet or cut it into smaller sheets with 3mm gap between them?

I'm thinking about potential expansion issues. The 3mm gap between smaller sheets will act as a break for expansion.

Thanks

Reaction score
Probably done it by now. I never recommend ply to receive tiles. Jackoboard or cement board would be my choice. And definitely fix in 1 piece if possible

Reaction score
I agree with the above, the less joints the better. according to British Standards you will need to over board the floor with a suitable tile backer board, this should also alleviate the need for de coupling.

Reply to Big bit of ply, or cut into smaller bits? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks