Search the forum,

Discuss Bath panel and floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Skid Solo

Hi new to the forum and have found some very useful information, however I have a couple of questions relating to a tiling project :

• I want to have tiled bath panel (20x25x6 ceramic tiles), the bath is 1700mm long. I originally thought of using exterior ply to make the bath panel and tiling directly onto this, but having read through this forum, this doesn’t appear to be the best solution. So I am considering using Hardeibecker board and tiling onto this (I have used this before to tile bathroom floor and will be in this project as well). However I cant get 1700mm long Hardeibecker board so how do I join ? Thoughts are to make bath panel from 9mm exterior ply and screw 6mm Hardeibecker to this and to tile onto the Hardeibecker. Does that sound suitable or am I making this to hard ?
Would this also apply to a boxed in toilet system, I was thinking of making frame and using plasterboard on the front wall with a exterior plywood and Hardeibecker board to make up the top surface, so that it could take some loading if ever required

• Secondly and I am sure this must have been asked before, but I couldn’t find a direct answer, should I tile the floor before or after installing sink pedestal and toilet pan ? I have tiled a bathroom floor in the past where the units were already installed so had to cut round them, not the easiest thing to do. This time however I have completely gutted the bathroom and I am installing new sink, toilet and bath so was hoping to tile the floor 1st and then install sink and toilet, your recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

D

david campbell

make up a stud frame the way it's done for large areas of plasterboard and you can use hardibacker.you will need it for a solid frame to stop movement in the bath panel

S

Skid Solo

Thanks David, however not sure I understand, I want the bath panel to be removable, and thus I will need a joint of some type as the Hardeibecker is not long enough to make a complete panel.
Are you therefore suggesting that the joint should be on a batten and that one side of the joint should be a permanent fix to the batten and the other side of the joint held on with chrome topped screws (so they can be removed at a later date), how would I ensure the joint gap between the tiles was the same as all the others, would it be grouted and then have to be re-grouted when and if the bath panel was removed ?

D

diamondtiling

Install your stud framework and make sure that it is solid with no deflection whatsoever.
Fix the hardie to the frame , where the hardie ends you should have a double or thicker batten for strength. Cut the smaller piece leaving a 2mm gap between the panels and leave out for the time being, tile the longer panel. offer up the smaller piece and tack with pins into place, take the measurement and alignments for the tiles that will be on this smaller panel and tile it either in situ or lay it on the floor. When this panel is tiled drill your holes through the tiles for your capped screws, offer it into place and fix. Grout the whole panel but leave out the 2mm gap where the panels meet, when all the grout is dry silicone the joint to match the grout. You should now have everything in place and the inspection panel should have 4 capped screws. one in each corner, I would have some in the middle as well. If you need to open the panel, just cut through the silicone and remove the screws.
It is imperative that the stud work is solid or the panel may pull in too tight leaving you with a lip at the join.

:thumbsup:

A

albyshellshear

i would tile the floor then fit toilet and basin gives a much cleaner finish the only thing i would fit is the bath :thumbsup:

Reaction score
or another option is making bath panel from 40 mm wediboard, fixing it with expanding foam, start laying tiles and cutting out access panel for like 1-2 tiles depends on valves where need access, then putting back access panel and silicone tile joint, silicone will hold access panel in place, and you will not gonna see any screws, if you need to remove access panel then need to cut out silicone, some people never look under bath, that's why i prefer this way it looks more tidy i guess :)

Reply to Bath panel and floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen