Search the forum,

Discuss Basalt Sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Im just passing this on to you, as I have had the Stone Federation in looking at this Basalt Bathroom that is now stained to high hell. It appears that I should have not followed the architects instructions to seal with Lithofin and should have known better.

See below:-

As we do not know the performance characteristics of the Basalt to the master shower we are unable to predict the precise cause. It is however likely that the material has a relatively high water absorption, with anything greater than 0.25% likely to cause such staining, and the use of spirit based impregnators which Lithofin have recently identified as a potential cause of visual deterioration.

The upshot is no solvent sealers on Basalt, the master shower is being ripped out next week...Im replacing it with black porcelain. :prrr:

Lynn

P

Pebbs

Well now Im not going back in next week to rip out the master shower. The client didn't like what the Stone Federation had to say, and got in an 'expert' who says the Stone Federation are talking rubbish. This expert also has said that granite is not suitable for external applications......nor is granite suitable for work tops as it stains. Well don't you learn something every day...lads you better rip out your granite work tops, and I'll send my lads to rip off all the granite cladding Ive ever done over god knows how many years.

These 'experts' will tell clients anything they want to hear as long as a few pound notes are waved in their faces.

I cant wait for the report, its going to be a classic I just have that feeling.

Lynn

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

did any body check to see if the water is coming into the stone from the back some times the pipe connections leak but is hard to trace as they are only under pressure when the shower is on when off no leak the best way to check this is to take off the plate a round the valve put fingers in and feel for damp this would acoutt for 70% of shower leaks that i have seen .the connections to the shower head body jets leak pushing water behind tiles the tiles draw in water from back .turn off water the leak stops dead.in the mean time the tiles the tiles dry out a little pushing stain to face every time shower is used it creeps a little further look at face close see if the stains are following the adhesive on the back .you could take off shower head connect hose pipe the and run under pressure for 30 mins checking for leaks

P

Pebbs

Thanks for the replies, but I have spent so much time on this contract now, that I can't be bothered to do anymore. Tony the basalt wasn't dyed, me myself think its down to someone .....(ie the client) leaving massive amounts of soap suds and god knows what basically not cleaning up after themselves. The plumbers are tearing their hair out, the sparkies have refused to step foot into the place again, and the chippies walked off site when the client started nagging. Even the main contactor has now refused to do any more remedial works. We have all had a gut full.

Some people no matter how much money they have will never be happy, its a me me me world to them.

Lynn

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
Might be a little late on this one but I am currently laying over 200msq of basalt....
i have sealed around 90msq so far with Lithofin stainstop. This is what I have always used and so far I don't seem to have any problems? However this is not a wet area. I have a further 100 odd msq outside on a patio though which will obviously get wet. Should I stick with the stainstop or use something different? The stone is all from mandarin stone (Chinese) and it did take a lot of sealer.

P

Pebbs

I don't know what to suggest to be honest, I've just finished another basalt contract, and the whole building has been clad in 50 and 30mm basalt, on that job the architect told us not to seal any of it. On the internal basalt we used a water impregnating sealer. Im wondering how the external cladding will cope with the weather. You do one thing on one job, the next its turn about, so you end up not knowing what is right and wrong.

Lynn

Reply to Basalt Sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.