Search the forum,

Discuss Bad day today - I hope some amusement may arise out of my suffering! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I've decided to post this here as opposed to the Wetrooms Forum for now, as I really feel that I need to get this off my chest, and some of you may have a good laugh at my expense.

It was my own fault.:mad2:

First wetroom, decided to, sort of, combine two stages into one and got completely stuffed!:mad2:

I'm putting in a Tilux wetroom former (from Wetdecs). Now the wetroom former is thicker than the actual screed on top of the concrete floor. So I had to chisel out some of the concrete sub base. It actually came out quite well with a breaker, and I avoided having to take out the whole concrete slab.

Today I was faced with a former that was cut to size and fitted, the gulley and waste in the right position, a rough surface resembing the Alps in concrete to go on top of, oh, and more bags of spf than was good for me:lol:

Then I had the brainwave - I told you that I had too much tile adhesive.

I decided in my wisdom to screed and lay in a day. I can hear you all now (NOOOOOOOOOO!).

Just after I had started the plumber, who I had got chatting to poked his head around the corner and offered his advice to the effect that he finds it easier to do it in two stages. I agreed, but I was already too committed, now mixing my 2nd bag of adhesive - yes alarm bells were ringing in my head too :lol:

After a couple of attempts I actually got the thing level, square and solid - didn't move at all. Great, I thought, now for the gulley...................

Well, that's where it all kind of went.......Pete Tonge.

Try as I might I couldn't get the waste to slide in. I had to lift the former, which was not easy as it was so well bedded down. I found that some adhesive had got onto the flange and was stopping the waste from clicking home, this shouldn't have been a surprise really as there was two bags worth sloshing around :rofl:

It was obvious that the adhesive was beginning to set, as some of it was mixed quite a while ago and my window of opportunity was now closing fast.

After a bit more messing around, I decided that I was not happy so set about salvaging the situation. I lifted the former, cleaned this up as best as I could and removed some of the adhesive from the concrete.

I then contacted Wetdecs, who has been absolutely brilliant throughout. We discussed the situation and he advised me to lay a screed to give me sufficiant gap for the adhesive, using some spf. This seemed sensible as there was loads of spf on top of the concrete, and I could add to this.

Although trying to screed spf is rather like trying to screed treacle, it worked. Continually wetting my tools helped. As the spf started to cure I found that I could actually scrape it level with the back of a plastering trowel. I think I've now got it level to 1mm. Ideally I'd have liked a bigger gap for the adhesive but I'm basically happy.

I trial fitted the former into place and found that the gulley clicks into place without an issue. Also, I could release the gulley again and set the former to one side waiting for the screed to dry.

Come Monday fitting the former should be a relitively easy solution. I wish that plumber had stuck his head round the door an hour earlier, and that I had listened to my instincts.

OK so I've only wasted about half a day plus 2 bags of Profix fast setting flexable adhesive. BTW, BAL technical service is pants. 3 phone calls and only when the third is answered I am told that BAL Technical do not provide technical support for Profix, I have to phone the rep!

Things I have learned:

1) When doing something for the first time TAKE IT SLOWLEY!
2) Listen to your instincs. If there is a simpler but slower way to do something, especially if it's your first time, give it due consideration. Tell the customer he'll have to wait. This customer has eased off the pressure as I think he worked out it wasn't helping, so in no way did he contribute here.
3) Put Wetdecs phone number on speed dial
4) BAL Technical Support are pants when it comes to Profix. You buy the gear you are on your own.
5) Buy my next wetroom product from Wetdecs. Both price and service are excellent.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Thumbs up to wetdecs.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::

A big BOOOOOOO to BAL tech then.......:mad2:..

The thing is Hugo ..you have learned a valuable lesson and know now what to do next time...:thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

The thing is Hugo ..you have learned a valuable lesson and know now what to do next time...:thumbsup:

Yes - pass the job on :lol:

The thing is that I had thought everything through with this, but went wrong when I thought I could take a short cut.

I take short cuts all the time, but that's with areas that I know about. For example, if a tile cut is going to be hidden then I don't spend ages getting the right angle. Or I solder extensions onto copper tap tails before I install them into the tap if I know they are going to be needed, or I use a nut and olive as opposed to a tap connector where space is limited, and there is the right profile on the tap.

My mistake was to think laterally at the wrong time.

TBH I was lucky I wasn't on the phone to Wetdecs ordering a replacement former!

B

BDS

the thing is mate you rescued the sittuation and sorted it before it could of really got worse ie;smashing screed and former,,,:lol:

R

Rob Z

CC,

After the week I've had all I can say is that I feel your pain, brother. :mad2:

Let's both hope that next week goes better for both of us. :thumbsup:

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving for us, which is by far my favorite holiday. I won't be able to relax as much as I want because the house is going to be crazy because most of the famn damily is coming to stay with us. :whatchutalkingabout Oh well, I'll take the days off as I can get them. :yes:

O

Olz

Learn from it and move on mate, at least you had the balls to realise your mistake and put it right instead of trying to bodge it, and again top man wetdecs :thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

Yes thanks to all who replied.

This morning I realised that my day was not as bad as someone else's.

My wife phoned me this morning after I'd left for Plymouth and told me that an ex colleague of mine who lives 5 mins walk away from me, and who I'd careshared to work with, was found in his living room chair this morning by his partner who'd come to see him. He had passed away.

He was around 4 years older than me, that would put him at mid 40s. I knew him quite well. I do know that his health had not been good. I was quite shocked to hear that as you can imagine.

Reply to Bad day today - I hope some amusement may arise out of my suffering! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen