Currently reading:
Are short course providers diluting the tiling trade.?

Discuss Are short course providers diluting the tiling trade.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Absolutely yes! They give the impression you can learn to tile in a few weeks then go out into the real world and earn good money when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. How many bodged jobs do we see on here that have been done by so called tillers? I' love to know how many of them have been done by someone who has walked into their first paid domestic job straight from a course, lied about how long they have been doing it then ruin the job. I'm not slagging off everyone who wants to get into tiling through the short course route but there needs to be some regulations put in place before an innocent member of the public gets seriously injured because someone has stuck 20mm stone to a painted wall with tubbed addy because the 7 day course provider hasn't fully explained about substrate preparation. Lets be honest how much can you seriously learn in a week or two tiling a booth with perfectly flat walls/ floors.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Yes Dave, I do think this trade is going down hill, the skills are being diluted day by day, tiling used to be a trade, but not anymore it seems.

I like you and many other members of this forum, who are real tilers, should feel resentment towards the pretenders.

That's quite a reserved reply from you Phil, I expected you to go off like one of the rockets I'm watching through my lounge window:lol:

C

charlie1

Having been tiling now for arround 5yr Im not a new guy but i still have lots to learn but i will give you my honest view... In my area, I know who the competition is... very poor appart from 1 or 2 out of maybe 20 or so people advertising there tiling servicies. If I was the likes of phil or dave... longstanding tilers who take pride then i would be peed off tbh. Some people are tilers just to make money, others are inspired to tile and the money comes along with it! I have a guy ta me the now asking what course he should go on....the 1 or the two week, im trying to get it through to him that if he is ever going to make it, it wont be because he chose a certain course, its an inner desire to continually improve!! A lot of prople do think the can do a 4 week course and there tilers... having seen it from both sides i really feel sorry for them, if only they knew what was in front of them!!

A

Alan M

as a pretender, i have to agree with this, i see on this forum the welth of info that the experts have. there are loads of situations that you lot would have no problems doing but i wouldnt even know where to start. i would leave these to the experts. i would consider myself fairly clued in on most trades but would never do anything i wasnt compident to do. if i dont know how to do something i will find out how to do it properly . i think the problem is that most people see someone doing something similar and think they are experts and can do it the very same. they dont understand the theory behind it.
most coarses only show the basics or the easy parts and at that they only skip over it. they only show the ideal situation and when someone goes out on site and realise the real situation you see ,they dont know how to get around those situations where that the books dont show(out of level walls,floors,out of square floors etc)

P

Peter

Never been convinced by courses as a sole stepping point into a trade. Ideal for a basic knowledge but IMO the only route after this is to work to a tiler for a few years. I never stuck a tile until well into my second year as an apprentice, hated it at the time and got very disheartened but glad I did it that way as it's no use being able to stick a tile until you can do everything else. After you've been observing for a year then the tiling comes more naturally too than coming into a 5 day course and tiling wall that morning when you've never as much as opened a box of tiles.

The training schools are wrong in what they promote, ie shortage of tilers and promises of new tilers earning £40k a year. You'd be lucky to make £200 a month if you just come off a short course from nowhere with no skill, experience or contacts.

D

DHTiling

I think the qualifications that are dished out after a short course are a joke, apparently they are willing to say that one of their students is more qualified after a few weeks than the likes of myself that have been doing the job for decades. I don't know whether that counts as "dilution" but I certainly see it as disrespectful.

You only have to take the City and guilds qualification thread to see what i mean .. mickey/minnie and donald are laffing :lol:

S

Spud

The real scandal is how someone with just 2 weeks training is allowed to be let loose with thousands of pounds of materials that someone has saved for years to buy and saved even longer to get an "expert" to install it is a farce but this is not the persons fault who has done their course in good faith and has spent their money trying to learn something new and believes they are fully skilled when they have got their certificate,the problem is no governing body covering work in domestic homes and course providers claiming tiling is easy and concentrating more on the marketing of the newbies new business than ensuring they have the skills needed to do the job

Reply to Are short course providers diluting the tiling trade.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.