Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ardex X77W road test. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stan001

This is possibly the best addy I have ever used. Never used Ardex before being basically a Bal man closely followed by Mapei and Nicobond. Got given a couple of bags of X77W after using it at a demo day. Used them this week. The main feature is this stuff has double the normal slump resistance (its full of fibres) and mega long pot life. You really can knock this stuff up, have lunch, solve the worlds financial crisis and this stuff is still ready to slap on a wall. You have to knock it up with a whisk as by hand it would be too heavy, then add one more margin trowel of powder more than you think you need and it gets really sticky. Its great to work with, the addy follows the contours of your trowel like no other, straight onto plasterboard add your tile and it wont move. I notice on the wall section I have tanked it doesn’t grip quite so well, but its still exceptional. A strange combination, very sticky with a great pot life.
Would I use it again – I would love to – BUT …. Its £57 a bag list price! … even with my trade discount it doesn’t come near other quality addy. So as much as I'd love to I’ll still be using Bal, Mapei and Nicobond – a real shame. These manufacturers need to understand that cost is a real issue, customers in general want a quality job but don’t understand premium materials nor are they generally interested in paying premium. If they do it will be for our skills and for their tiles (something they can see) not our materials! Nice job Ardex – but no cigar! …. Which like I said, is a real shame.
Stan

S

Stan001

... well, from my two regular suppliers i get 36% and 40% reduction, so Im guessing thats the trade price (at least for me - you may do better). That still leaves it over a third more expensive than i can get other excellent sticky for. And its not like the other stuff is bad to work with, Bal and Mapei is always good and if i need real cheap but good I go Nicobond. Heck, even Bal are lowering their prices now, and their supercover mix's need a close look at ref £ per m. Anyone used them?
(that x77 really is the mutts - lower the price I'd buy it)

C

CBTC

Ardex has been our adhesive of choice for 25 + years. Lets you forget so many of the issues discussed on here in the way of adhesive problems. Certainly not cheap, but value for money. The Microtech series 'XX' has improved coverage so should be judged on that too.

P

Perry

never used it but always used to use X7 years ago it was the best thing in those days only now with nanolight i have found a better adhesive

D

Daz

I use X77 when fixing large formats as the grab and anti-slip are second to none.

I don't invest in it when using anything smaller than 60 x 30 'cos there are many lower cost alternatives.

P

Peter

Ever try to tap Ardex rapidset out of a bucket? You're better just throwing the bucket away. Great stuff, if pricey.

C

Colour Republic

Who you getting this off Stan? I might have a supplier in your area for cheaper, I think it's a great addy but the only reason I gave it a try is because at the time my supplier was doing a deal on it, although I used the rapid version which did go off pretty quick

F

faithhealer

a customer once helped set up an ardex factory somewhere in europe He told me their best selling tactic was to stick a tile onto a ceiling with a 'hook', then, within minutes, ask people to swing on it to try to remove it, needless to say, they couldn't

S

Stan001

Who you getting this off Stan? I might have a supplier in your area for cheaper, I think it's a great addy but the only reason I gave it a try is because at the time my supplier was doing a deal on it, although I used the rapid version which did go off pretty quick

Hi Rob - the £56 a bag i saw over at Tile Source! ... fyi - CTD in Portsmouth were doing a special at £20 a bag last week. But that price wont hold very long. If you could suggest a decent price Ardex supplier in the Winchester, Southampton, Portsmouth area that would be great appreciated - cheers, Stan

Reaction score
I know the price will be a little higher than the cheaper adhesives but it does go further than any other product i have tried , CTD will be you best place to get your adhesive locally for you ,
But then i am a Ardex man user, and iam sure you will get many other recommendation , i try to use one supplier for my adhesives as it has advantages . Most adhesive companys want your business and will give trial bags for you to try,
CTD stock Ardex, Dunlop, Bal, Webber in our area, but maybe different in portsmouth,

S

Stan001

marbleman
yes CTD in Portsmouth supply my BAL, bumped into Ardex down there a month ago and they got me to try their stuff (used their grout before but not their addy) so now Im hooked but need the price. From what you say its probably better to get some price loyalty from CTD rather than shop around. The manager down there is ok so I'll have words with him and see what deal i can get. (thx for giving me confidence that Im already probably in the right place - Im always thinking 'grass is greener' and all that).
do you know how the x77 goes ref coverage up against BAL supercover? thx.

Reply to Ardex X77W road test. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks