Search the forum,

Discuss Any one had a hip replacement! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, Guys,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post! I know it's really random, but I am a tiler in need of a hip replacement desperately but I'm petrified of having it done because if it means I will not be able to tile floors etc. Only another tiler would realise the nature of the trade and wether it is realistic to be able to tile once I'd had the operation.
Has any one out there in the trade had such an operation or know of anyone and have they been able to continue to tile once they have had sufficient recovery time. Told you it was random though! Cheers John.

O

On one

Thanks lads for your replies. It's as I thought. Going to be really tough getting up and down as us tilers know what it's about. There will come a point when the quality of life has to come first bit I guess until then it's keep swallowing the ibobrufin!
I stopped taking Ibuprofen years ago......nothing more than pink sweeties.......Tramadol is what you want!
The son's future father in law had a hip replacement last year and was doing the Great North Run within 4 weeks:yikes:(aged 45) He doesn't have a physical job like us though.

T

TJ Smiler

I'd say if you stick to small stuff like new builds Barrat, wimpy, Lovell type of stuff and plod away you will be fine

Yeah i would have thought this too.............. I have a mate who had a hip done (he's in his early 60's and retired so not really the same situation) he was still limping with it after a few months but he did say the pain had gone and the only time he really felt anything was when he had to pull anything (moving an armchair or something) in our game that is all we do, but i would say that maybe if you could find a firm and slowed down a bit that it could be done. Although i would be seriously looking to do something else...... Supervisor on a firm would be perfect i would have thought mate.

Wish you much luck whatever you do.

D

Deleted member 9966

John, if the advice is to get it done, get it done. A bloke I work with had his done at 61 and was lucky to return to full health within 12 weeks of his op. He was able to go back to work with no problems. Our guys lift 25kg bags of powdered chemicals as a regular occurrence and have to walk the length and breadth of the production plant, in and out of hideyholes, up and down stairs looking after our production campaigns. If you find after the op that you can't return to full time tiling, you've still got plenty of life left in you so you can re-train and find something else to do, or as some of the other lads have said, go for something more sedantry within a firm.

Reply to Any one had a hip replacement! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays