Currently reading:
Aligning Different Tile Sizes

Discuss Aligning Different Tile Sizes in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mysterion

Hi all

Although not a pro, I have done a fair amount of tiling previously. About to start fully tiling a new-build loft ensuite bathroom, but have two predicaments.....

Firstly, I wish to use a large format tile for the floor and up one wall, and a smaller tile on the other three walls. The smaller tile actually measures 296 x 98 and I’m told is set in stone! Laying pattern will be horizontally stacked floor and walls.

However the favoured floor tile actually measures 592 x 291, but no matter how I lay them out I can’t get the grout lines to align on walls or floor, which bothers me immensely! A second floor tile option (not as nice and more expensive) actually measures 600 x 300, by using 3mm grout lines, I can of course get these to align on the walls, but not the floor (this bothers me much less).

To use the first option large tile means I will not be able to get any alignment so means staggering, but not happy with this solution.

Am I missing a trick?

Second predicament, being a loft type room means the ceiling is angled, 30 degrees on two sides. How would you normally measure / mark out the tile for cutting so as to get a neat and consistent 3 – 4mm gap to the ceiling for siliconing afterwards?

Many thanks!

Andy

T

Tile Shop

You are never going to get them perfect without having fairly inconsistent grout joints, and that will look even worse. The best suggestion you've made is to deliberately stagger the joints between the wall and floor, starting half bond, working outwards from your centre point of each wall.

No its not ideal but its the only way you can successfully disguise the size difference. Better for it to look as if its the actual design rather than it looking like you've tried and failed.

For weird angles, I used a Rubi Mini angle finder. Was quick and very helpful once I got used to it. This will be ok for your smaller tiles, but may struggle with the larger if the cut length will be over 450mm. It can take small amount of trial and error, as after you've marked the line, you have to make an allowance for grout width and perimeter joint. (I marked the exact line and had to draw it back by 4mm to get a sufficient gap).

Or use a tape measure to measure the gap and mark the tile for cutting. Strangely enough, you may find one of @Localtiler current threads useful. Its brought a few people out to either argue or suggest a couple of methods :)

Here it is: http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-it-just-me-that-uses-one.81300/page-2#post-834702

Reply to Aligning Different Tile Sizes in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement