Search the forum,

Discuss 1st bathroom project - pictures and question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dean A

I started this 3 weeks ago, it's been a steep learning curve but its coming along now:

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3087-spa51910-1024x768.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3088-spa51915-1024x768.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3089-spa51918-1024x768.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3090-spa51939.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3091-spa51940.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3092-spa51944.jpg

dean-a-albums-small-bathroom-project-picture3093-spa51946.jpg

:8:

I am putting down Mapei fiberplan later today to cover the UFH cables, now my question is, how best to dam the edges, as you can see in the picture above, there are pipes running to the sink.

Any tips? I have added expandy foam around some of the edges, but this won't work everywhere :lol:

Comments and advice welcomed!

U

uug197h

I would have plasterboarded and tiled the walls first then done the ufh and tile floor,
Yoe have to put the wires in the wall and the thermostat but you could leave the ufh mat in a corner untill you need it. but if you are wanting to do the floor first i would put some batton round the edge to contain the fiberplan

F

faithhealer

Just gonna have to use ,anything you can really, if you can't use batons . I used a newspaper last week to block a surface soil pipe off!

D

Dean A

I would have plasterboarded and tiled the walls first then done the ufh and tile floor,
Yoe have to put the wires in the wall and the thermostat but you could leave the ufh mat in a corner untill you need it. but if you are wanting to do the floor first i would put some batton round the edge to contain the fiberplan

In an ideal world, I would have done this too.

It all got a bit complicated with needing to have a window replaced before we could have the walls rendered. The electrician was keen to come in and wire the UFH before the walls were rendered etc etc!!

I did contemplate hardibacker for the walls, but alot of the stones are loose and all the old blown render has been raked away and would need replacing.

Instead I am having both walls rendered with a lime, cement mix. The cost difference wasn't huge and its simpler.

D

doug boardley

it's gonna take a few coats of render to build those walls out Dean, why not give them a couple of coats of render then dot and dab plasterboard onto walls, this would also serve to dam the fibreplan

U

Uheat

Hi Dean,

Just a little advice for the next job. The Conduit that you have used in the floor for the sensor, this should not have this many bend in it and should go all the way back to the box.

The main reason for this is, if the probe was ever to fail you can simply pull out and insert a new one. If the conduit does not go back to the box then you will not be able to do this and also the more bends you put in the tube the more difficult it will be to insert a new probe.

On a completely different note. Is that a foil insulation layer over the top of the cables?

D

Dean A

it's gonna take a few coats of render to build those walls out Dean, why not give them a couple of coats of render then dot and dab plasterboard onto walls, this would also serve to dam the fibreplan

It probably will! Is there any disadvantage do this though, as we have already accepted a good quote from a plasterer?

The only advantage I can see to dot and dabbing boards to the wall is the ease of doing it :) ?

I didn't mention in this post, but we are using 12mm large format travertine tiles all over so it would have to be hardibacker.

Aaron, the silver foil is only to cover the wires for now to stop the dust falling on the Marmox boards - don't worry, this won't be staying!

Good tip on the conduit, thanks for that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

unskimmed plasterboard will take 32kg/m2 Dean, how heavy is your Trav, if it's under 28kg/m2 it'll be ok (the missing 4kg is adhesive and grout). If you go down the plastering route ask plasterer to leave areas to be tiled unskimmed!:thumbsup:

U

Uheat

It probably will! Is there any disadvantage do this though, as we have already accepted a good quote from a plasterer?

The only advantage I can see to dot and dabbing boards to the wall is the ease of doing it :) ?

I didn't mention in this post, but we are using 12mm large format travertine tiles all over so it would have to be hardibacker.

Aaron, the silver foil is only to cover the wires for now to stop the dust falling on the Marmox boards - don't worry, this won't be staying!

Good tip on the conduit, thanks for that :)

No Problems. Just a quick note on the insulation boards you have used. The next project you get give me a call....have a look at this thread
http://www.tilersforums.com/electric-underfloor-heating/19750-what-great-deal.html

W

White Room

I would be pointing the stones with a lime morter before anything else to make sure they are secure

Reply to 1st bathroom project - pictures and question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen