Currently reading:
Why do they do it!!!!!!!

Discuss Why do they do it!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Lowestoft Tiler

On Tuesday i got a phone call from a bloke who owns a nursing home. He told me that he had got some work for me and would i quote him for it?

Turned up, nice bloke, nice job 26metres of walls and 12 metres of flooring involving two en-suites , two small hallways and a cupboard.

Then he drops the clanger. He needs the work done by Thursday 8th May, yes this coming Thursday!
so i check to see if i can shift around my workload to be able to please the chap, as its first time job and possible future work, networking etc.

Promised to have a quote to him by 7pm last night, which i did. I quoted £850 including materials, which is all BAL with two years warranty on all my work and the warranty BAL gives, i felt confident.

He called me today to say that he does not do business this way but he has been quoted £677 + vat and i had not got the work, He felt it only fair to let me know how far out i was but then he went silent, no Doubt waiting for me to say oh I'll match their price then mate!
When i replied with Oh OK not to worry, i hope it go's all OK for you. bye. he seemed shocked with a reply of "oh oh OK bye"
:furious3:
Just needed to have a rant and seeking the reassurance from you guys who have worked for yourself a bit longer than myself, if you would have done the same ?

E

enduro

On Tuesday i got a phone call from a bloke who owns a nursing home. He told me that he had got some work for me and would i quote him for it?

Turned up, nice bloke, nice job 26metres of walls and 12 metres of flooring involving two en-suites , two small hallways and a cupboard.

Then he drops the clanger. He needs the work done by Thursday 8th May, yes this coming Thursday!
so i check to see if i can shift around my workload to be able to please the chap, as its first time job and possible future work, networking etc.

Promised to have a quote to him by 7pm last night, which i did. I quoted £850 including materials, which is all BAL with two years warranty on all my work and the warranty BAL gives, i felt confident.

He called me today to say that he does not do business this way but he has been quoted £677 + vat and i had not got the work, He felt it only fair to let me know how far out i was but then he went silent, no Doubt waiting for me to say oh I'll match their price then mate!
When i replied with Oh OK not to worry, i hope it go's all OK for you. bye. he seemed shocked with a reply of "oh oh OK bye"
:furious3:
Just needed to have a rant and seeking the reassurance from you guys who have worked for yourself a bit longer than myself, if you would have done the same ?
£22 per sqm inc materials your mad quoting that price.

I

IvegotsTILE

Had someone call me today "Hello is that Simon,I've been given your name by someone,I need my kitchen floor tiling 17 sqm,need doing as soon as poss,How much for cash?

£400 +MATS.

"For CASH,thats your final price?

"I wouldn't be willing to work for less,that would mean me working the weekend to do it as I'm already snowed under with work.I don't need the work to be honest.What sort of price was you thinking of out of interest?

£280 inc mats.It is for cash.

Most of my customers pay me cash anyway and I have to say for that price you might aswell do it yourself for the quality you'll get off someone for that price.Ask a house husband not a tiler because no-one good will ever work for that price.I wouldn't dream of working for that,the mats alone will cost you £65 to £85 at normal cost.

If anyone ever asks for money off my price,I give them a look which says they've just caled my mum a *****.I never give money off,my price is my price.I always give a competative quote anyway.People will always try it on.

Stick to your guns always:41: :wink_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
craig t got it right...he quoted £50 less than you so the guy was probably just trying to pull your chain.

I had a similar quote the other week...45m2 of porcelain had to start in 2 or 3 days time and finish in a week (subsequently found that tilers from London were coming to do it and didnt show). Priced it at £1500 originally...labour only as he had everything provided. Got the "what about for cash?" question so said £1400 lowest price as he had everything there and cash or cheque made no difference. Got it and did it...thank God I had a cancellation to fit the job in

T

The Lowestoft Tiler

£22 per sqm inc materials your mad quoting that price.
£25 is about the going rate around here, but i thought i would go in a bit cheaper just to start off with. I do feel a bit smug now to be honest, i am glad i turned the work down. The way i now see things is that i am bloody good at what i do so why the hell should i reduce my prices to please people who just want a cheap job:sifone:
Thanks Guys
:grouphug:

Reply to Why do they do it!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.