Search the forum,

Discuss Why do they do it!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Lowestoft Tiler

On Tuesday i got a phone call from a bloke who owns a nursing home. He told me that he had got some work for me and would i quote him for it?

Turned up, nice bloke, nice job 26metres of walls and 12 metres of flooring involving two en-suites , two small hallways and a cupboard.

Then he drops the clanger. He needs the work done by Thursday 8th May, yes this coming Thursday!
so i check to see if i can shift around my workload to be able to please the chap, as its first time job and possible future work, networking etc.

Promised to have a quote to him by 7pm last night, which i did. I quoted £850 including materials, which is all BAL with two years warranty on all my work and the warranty BAL gives, i felt confident.

He called me today to say that he does not do business this way but he has been quoted £677 + vat and i had not got the work, He felt it only fair to let me know how far out i was but then he went silent, no Doubt waiting for me to say oh I'll match their price then mate!
When i replied with Oh OK not to worry, i hope it go's all OK for you. bye. he seemed shocked with a reply of "oh oh OK bye"
:furious3:
Just needed to have a rant and seeking the reassurance from you guys who have worked for yourself a bit longer than myself, if you would have done the same ?

G

grumpygrouter

To be honest, if he has got someone to do that job for 700 notes good luck to him! I would be nowhere near even the price you quoted!

You are well out of that one.

D

DHTiling

Your'e price was good to start with , so to lower to that was silly....you did right......his bad luck if he was calling your bluff.......

F

floydyboy

you get them everywhere :mad2: most are just trying it on but you do get the silly gits that are prepared to do it for next to nothing, if he was trying it on i bet he choked on the answer you gave him:lol:

R

robbo

Some mothers do 'ave em.......
Always stick to your price tuffstuff, seems a very fair price and if he could get it done for £677 + vat then so be it, more fool him if he tells porkies..

D

daj5451

Get used to customers trying that one mate:mad2: ,me personally would have been looking for more than you quoted .

Dunc

S

sWe

Unless I really need it, or if a job is certain to result in many profitable jobs, I've got a percentage limit, below which I do not go when I'm asked to match prices.

I've found that alot of customers who go for the cheapest quotes, are the most troublesome to deal with. They complain the most, and give you the most hassle. I don't need that.

G

grumpygrouter

The sad thing is, if the 677 was genuine, the guy doing it is charging less than £18m2 inc materials. How can you work for that? Unless of course he is just going to throw it up and only take a couple of days!

E

enduro

On Tuesday i got a phone call from a bloke who owns a nursing home. He told me that he had got some work for me and would i quote him for it?

Turned up, nice bloke, nice job 26metres of walls and 12 metres of flooring involving two en-suites , two small hallways and a cupboard.

Then he drops the clanger. He needs the work done by Thursday 8th May, yes this coming Thursday!
so i check to see if i can shift around my workload to be able to please the chap, as its first time job and possible future work, networking etc.

Promised to have a quote to him by 7pm last night, which i did. I quoted £850 including materials, which is all BAL with two years warranty on all my work and the warranty BAL gives, i felt confident.

He called me today to say that he does not do business this way but he has been quoted £677 + vat and i had not got the work, He felt it only fair to let me know how far out i was but then he went silent, no Doubt waiting for me to say oh I'll match their price then mate!
When i replied with Oh OK not to worry, i hope it go's all OK for you. bye. he seemed shocked with a reply of "oh oh OK bye"
:furious3:
Just needed to have a rant and seeking the reassurance from you guys who have worked for yourself a bit longer than myself, if you would have done the same ?
£22 per sqm inc materials your mad quoting that price.

Reply to Why do they do it!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen