Search the forum,

Discuss Warmup matting is not heating up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SOTON STEVE

Hi All

Went back to a customer to help programe theyre xstat 24hours ago. I told them to leave it on overnight because I understand that it can take a while to heat up. The job was completed 2 weeks ago. I had layed the warmup matting on 6mm Hardibacker on floor boards, 30x60 10mm granite tiles on top. No insulation boards used due to height restrictions. They phoned me up again this morning and said the tiles were still cold. I went back this afternoon to check with no luck. All the time I was laying the mat and then laying the tiles I had the watchdog switched on with no troubles plus used a plastic trowel. All screws for hardibacker where counter sunk ok. I'm sure I havent damaged the wire. I am a complete novice at electrics, so did all the relevent checks whilst installing. I had checked the wiring to the xstat and all looks present and correct. The interface on the xstat seems to be working fine, with the little red light on constantly to show its active . Still no heat. The electrician is going back on Tuesday to double check everything he'd done.

Has anyone got any advice.
I getting really worried. i'm racking my brains to think if I have done something wrong. At £15 a tile + mats + cable + labour = Huge hurt.

steve

D

DHTiling

Do a test on the mat...if this is OK then you are clear..

All you do is test the wires to the mat.. but the spark should have tested this before connecting up..

S

Scott

I not seen the watchdog before, gonna get me one of them!

Did you do the plug in test to see if it warmed up before laying? Its possible the sparky might have dropped a neutral on his side, fingers crossed!

D

DHTiling

Uheat sell Mat monitors ... Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SOTON STEVE

Steve.. I bet it is a sparky problem..let us know how it goes.:thumbsup:

I'm really hoping it is.
The sparky doesnt fill me with much confidence. Whilst on the phone to warm up they asked me to take a look at where the wires for the probe and matting go into the xstat. I had to swap them over.

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
steve it seems like a problem with the stat warm up have a helpline to ring they talk you through the stat settings:thumbsup:

Reaction score
I just had a problem with a warmup xstat. I fitted the mats, carried out the checks etc but the sparky couldn't get the stat to fire up. I've never had a problem with warmup before, but I suggested he phoned the tech helpline.

They sent a replacement, he connected it up and this one was completely dead too. Inevitably the suspicion started to swing around to the mats and my install. I carried out the checks again in front of the customer and the sparky and again these all came back clear.

The long and the short of it was that we had had two faulty xstats in a row. The sparky wasn't up to speed because he'd only ever fitted a kit once before. The third xstat arrived and finally worked!

Maybe there is a batch of faulty xstats out there? The two we had were the graphite coloured ones.

Reply to Warmup matting is not heating up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen