Search the forum,

Discuss VAT on a listed building..? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
never heard of this one before, had this email off a customer wanting someone that's VAT reg for this reason......anyone heard of this before..?

Very sorry, but we are hoping to use someone who is VAT registered (our project has listed building consent so is zero-rated - therefore the installer can reclaim the VAT on materials and charge us no VAT).

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
It's their project so it's down to THEM to reclaim the VAT , same as in self build.

Edit: As I understand it.

Diggy

Last edited:

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Not too mention that the supplier ( in this case you if you were vat registered ) would be losing money , in small way.

If you're reclaiming vat on a monthly basis you are essentially giving the customer a loan of the amount of vat payable for a month.

Diggy

P

prceramics

they will probably pick the cheapest vat registered tiler rather than the best aswell

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
glad im out of it tbh, all sounds a bit dodgy .......50m2 fired earth flag stone tiles as well, so not cheap stuff..

C

Colour Republic

It could be dodgy as automatic vat relief on listed buildings was removed last year, they would have to provide paperwork which confirms that the works you were going to do were in fact zero rated.

zero rated vat or reduced vat (5%) can also apply to property's that have stood empty for 12 months and are being brought back in to residential use although there are only certain items included such as essentials like kitchens and bathrooms but again the customer needs to provide paperwork that confirms they have been granted zero rated vat for the works they want done.

S

Spud

its my vat quarter this month and i have a biggish bill to pay but it is definitely worth going vat registered if most of you work is to builders and developers as mine is, you can claim back all the vat on your business expenses and it means you can trade 20% cheaper than the tilers who are not registered , you have to be sensible and put it aside when you get paid and keep very good records and receipts

Reply to VAT on a listed building..? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen