Discuss using silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

len

Love to know what techniques people have come up with for leaving a clean tidy WIDE silicone joint. Sealant manufacturers tips are useless.Have taken a look on Search Engines but without success. Have seen the perfect job but so far unable to find the artist !

D

DHTiling

Try using a kit like this..........dave..

Silicone Set

silicone-set.jpg

Silicone smoothing rubber tools for all joint shapes

For creating perfect joints fast. Made from a soft rubber like material

An exceptional and unique set of tools of professional results

Set consists of:-

4 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

7 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

10 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

storage case included

First apply your silicone in the normal way. Spray the whole area with a strong soapy solution (i.e. washing up liquid and water, (spray bottle available below) then use these tools to even up and form a perfect joint in seconds! Keeps silicone off your hands

L

len

Now thats an interesting tool kit....could help me lose weight!

Have you any idea just how many Magnum icecreams I have to eat through the summer to ensure a good supply of wooden spatulas to last through the winter.

R

ryanbrown

i put a tesco carrier bag on my hand - run my finger along the siliconed gap (after spraying with soapy water) and then collect the mound of silicone in the bag and then throw it at ememies lol.

E

enduro

I use on of those silicone sets, they are brilliant, wouldnt use anything else, using your finger looks crap.

R

ryanbrown

That depends how you use your finger surely.
Some silicone tools are shaped like a finger because its a good shape for most jobs.
----
wickes have a silicone spreading tool - its shaped like a steam rollered thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Try using a kit like this..........dave..

Silicone Set

silicone-set.jpg

Silicone smoothing rubber tools for all joint shapes

For creating perfect joints fast. Made from a soft rubber like material

An exceptional and unique set of tools of professional results

Set consists of:-

4 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

7 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

10 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

storage case included

First apply your silicone in the normal way. Spray the whole area with a strong soapy solution (i.e. washing up liquid and water, (spray bottle available below) then use these tools to even up and form a perfect joint in seconds! Keeps silicone off your hands

Excactly the kit I use.............'kin brilliant!!!

Grumpy

G

guy1976

Love to know what techniques people have come up with for leaving a clean tidy WIDE silicone joint. Sealant manufacturers tips are useless.Have taken a look on Search Engines but without success. Have seen the perfect job but so far unable to find the artist !

if you cut the tiles correctly you wont need a wide silicone joint
practice is perfect keep plugging away

L

len

thing is I do want a wide joint in certain circumstances,such as bath edge. Silicone can only stretch 25% therefore the wider the joint the more flexibility. I have seen to many silicone joints parting company with bath and shower tray edge, usually on wooden floors

S

sc24

fill the bath with water before you silicone, and silicone bath/shower tray to wall before you tile

L

len

have tried the full bath technique.....my feet got wet
Siliconed tray into place ......... absolutely.

F

Falcone

where can I purchase the above silicone set? cant get wide silicone joints AT ALL... (newb!!)

C

CLAYS TILES

i put a tesco carrier bag on my hand - run my finger along the siliconed gap (after spraying with soapy water) and then collect the mound of silicone in the bag and then throw it at ememies lol.

or any other well known shops available:hurray:

F

Falcone

ummmm... cant find them on screwfix :cryin:

anyone have a link... id like to buy this asap... :yes:

Reply to using silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks