Discuss Upstairs/2ND Story Durock 1/4 for Italian Porcelain Tile Florida home in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 60189

Hello,

A recent property purchase as an investment in Florida. Home is 1-owner from new. I'm second owner. Mint condition home. No pets or kids. Just an older retired couple who originally bought it.

I took out the upstairs carpet and orginal tile. Subflooring was mint. I decided to put 6x36 wood looking porcelain Tile from Italy. It's a family member who made it for me. The thickness is close to half inch.

Here is my question:

I had new tile installed in the 2nd floor. The home is in Florida. Subfloor is wood.*

1/4 Durock, Thinset was used along with the proper screws, and tape of course.**

The tile installers said 1/4 inch durock is sufficient. They also said 1/2 durock is not necessary due to weight and more brittle. They also mentioned no structural integrity. As for sound barrier would be much difference, except more sound to due more weight on subflooring.

Moreover, they said for floors upstairs 1/4 is just fine considering no structural integrity comes from cement boards, the brittleness of 1/2 cement board. They also said to me to factor in weight of tile, plus screws, mortar etc.

I wanted 1/2 inch. The tile installers said no need as cement board adds no structural integrity and for sound barrier could lead to more sound due to weight and other factors.

As mentioned The tile size used was 6x36 inches the thickness of each is roughly half an inch.

My question is, do you agree 1/4 inch durock is thick enough for upstairs flooring with wood subflooring?*

BTW: All the same tile was used in second floor, no transition. The bathrooms as well in 2nd floor. Redguard was used however in bathrooms.

Reply to Upstairs/2ND Story Durock 1/4 for Italian Porcelain Tile Florida home in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks