Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tuscan Leveling System in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rob Z

Has anyone used it?

I tried it for the first time on this floor and it definately has a learning curve. Two of the biggest hassles are keeping the joints clean, especially around the pyramid thingys, and also worrying about the straps loosening after you have set them and left (it happened to us-defective caps supposedly):mad2:.

Customer service is great from the standpoint of the fact that the owner and inventor gives out his cell phone and actually answers when you call!:thumbsup:

I have been told that it really speeds up production on a large floor.

Attachments

• IMG_1190 (Large).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 63

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Is this system the same principle as the Lash Clips on Tradetiler? Looks like a similar idea.

Yes mate, the same idea, sounds good in theory but still not convinced, there are a few threads on the go discussing these systems :thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
For me, it just looks like added time. Might be worth it on a large floor, but i only ever do small bathroom and cloakroom floors (and even i can keep them level lol!).

R

Rob Z

The thing that concerns me is that the setting material has to be mixed looser than normal. I'm not sure about the extra moisture content and shrinkage/strength of the thinset.

On that floor, I don't think it saved any time, and I don't think I got it down any better that I would have compared to the regular technique.

J

jay

rob if the thin set is mixed looser dont you run risk of adh slumping away from tile
another concern is if you try to do this practice with bowed or twisted tiles in perfect world it would be ok

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Jay, yes, thus their statement at TLS that you have to back butter everything (I would be doing that anyway) and ensure full coverage of thinset (use a large enough trowel of course).

I am going to try it again and give it a fair evaluation. I've been too much under the gun lately to sloow down and evaluate a new product. I'll get a floor to do soon enough and use the TLS again.:thumbsup:

J

jay

by the way good morning yer have to agree wont condem it until i have tried it for myself just voicing my concerns let us know how you go:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Jay, off now to work.... it's 548 am. You're home already and starting the weekend mate! :thumbsup:

C

CON5933

I get the impression these may be useful on big (600 x 600) ish...i'll wait and see:smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

if it's pulling tiles up it must surely be creating air pockets, which, to me, is a definite no no with floor tiles
fart-in-bed.gif

R

Rob Z

Hi Doug, this is what I said over at the JB forum for two years, and now that I have tried it (albeit only once), it doesn't do it to an appreciable degree.

TLS says the floor has to be dead flat and the proper trowel used for full coverage. This is an adjustment from the way it was first marketed.

I don't think that air pocket concern is really an issue for me anymore. What is a problem is the loose thinset and the mess in the joints. When I try it again I will get some photos of the stuff going in so you guys can see more. For that first time, it was "all a-holes and elbows" :D trying to get it to work and there wasn't any time to think about it too much.

I will say this: I think this has potential only in the hands of a top-notch tile setter that has a lot of experience. It is NOT well-suited for newbies, IMO.

Reaction score
somewhat of a concern to me as i was always taut to push and slide tile for good contact on floor to give a very good bond, so if you got to different height sizes surely it will not have full contact and leave the ribs intact which will cause air pockets and not giving you full bond, so i agree with doug and whats a matter with level and mallet

Reply to Tuscan Leveling System in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks