Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Trainee Tiler Clocking In in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RB3000

Hi All,

Currently half way through my 10 week full time Tiling course with Able Skills in Dartford working towards a complete career change and a Level 3 NVQ. Really enjoying it so far and starting to be fairly pleased with my work. I still haven't mastered sharpening my pencil with a stanley blade though! I've attached pics of some of my work so far so please go easy on me!

IMAG0249.jpg IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0301.jpg IMAG0313.jpg IMAG0316.jpg

I'll put a full rundown of the course in the correct forum once I've completed it for anyone interested but so far I have nothing but good things to say, particularly regarding my instructors Terry and Max and the other trainees I've been sharing my successes and failures with.

Cheers,
Russ.

D

DHTiling

Hi..

Some pointers.. pic 3 : centering windows looks more uniform but depends on other lay out return walls.. and pic 6 : what happened at the bottom few joints in the corners..?

R

RB3000

Hi David, thanks for your help. It was a while ago but with pic 3 as I recall I had to come off centre to avoid a sliver of a cut. With pic 6 I'm afraid my lack of experience worked against me. The walls weren't plumb and although everything worked nicely at the top, I didn't know how to save the pattern at the bottom. This was on Thursday and I'm discussing with my instructor on Monday but any advice would be well received. Wrapping round diamonds is certainly a bugbear at the moment!

Thanks.

D

DHTiling

Hi David, thanks for your help. It was a while ago but with pic 3 as I recall I had to come off centre to avoid a sliver of a cut. With pic 6 I'm afraid my lack of experience worked against me. The walls weren't plumb and although everything worked nicely at the top, I didn't know how to save the pattern at the bottom. This was on Thursday and I'm discussing with my instructor on Monday but any advice would be well received. Wrapping round diamonds is certainly a bugbear at the moment!

Thanks.

This is where when doing that sort of layout, the walls must be plumb.. or set out so the wrap is not on a full tile.. but get a plumb wall is the best method..

Good luck , it is but just a learning curve..

R

RB3000

Hi Whitebeam.

At the end of my 10 weeks intensive Able Skills will sign me up to the NVQ Level 3 if they feel that I'm capable enough. From there it's really down to me building a real-world portfolio of strong quality work that fits the assessment criteria (I haven't seen what this is as yet). How long that will take is fairly open ended but as I'm going to be doing this full time and I have 3 long-term domestic builders keen to add me to their sub-contractor lists, I'm hoping my growing competence will get me there well within 2 years. Do you have any knowledge of how long other guys or yourself have taken to achieve this level?

Thanks for the interest,
Russ.

Reply to Trainee Tiler Clocking In in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks