Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on roofing grade asphalt in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fraser

Hello guys, I have customer requiring a first floor balcony to be tiled. Have checked with my local tile shop, and to their knowledge, none of the major adhesive manufacturers sell a product that will fix to roofing grade asaphalt.
I believe schluter do have a solution that involves major reconstruction and removal of the existing felt, re waterproofing, and a complex system of upto 10 substrates, which is simply not practical for a tiler to take on.
I know that a clip system could be used with load baring 20mm+ tiles ungrouted, but am unsure if this would be an adequate solution for the customer.
Any tilers come across this problem?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
How big is the roof and what structure is it?

Can't you just rip off the roof and build something substantial to tile to?

Sounds like a maul but I bet it wouldn't be.
I am just picturing like a garage roof here or something though so perhaps not?

F

Fraser

the balcony is first floor, new construction, above a ground floor room. Its 5.3m x 1.3m, recieving direct weather and surface water downpipes. Would show a picture, but Iphone has just gone into recovery mode whilst updating. Think I've lost all my photos.

Reply to Tiling on roofing grade asphalt in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen