Currently reading:
The last Hurdle

Discuss The last Hurdle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bakerloo

Howdy folks,

In the process of refurbing my shower thanks to all the advice I've found on this forum so firstly a big thanks to all posters. Secondly I'd like some advice with the tiling as i've only ever done small floored area's before.

So far, walls prepped/ rendered (Appropriate drying time given)/ Plasterboard replaced with aqua panel (Correct Tape/ ceramic screws/ gear etc). Tray and internal wall angles silconed/ tiling upstand fitted/ tanked (I know aquapanel doesn't need tanking but shower is x1 wall render, x1 wall sound plaster, x1 stud wall so wanted continuity and 'belt & braces').

Only the tiling remains and here is where i'm stuck.

I want to avoid fill-in pieces where the tile adjoins the tray (Probably a name for that in the trade) particlulary when this is one of the many area's it was leaking from originally. Unneccesarily putting a grout line in a leak-prone area of the shower is just asking for it surely, or am I missing something? If I follow the method, I secure a baton across and tile using that as a base. When this is removed, I in-fill. Can I not just tile straight onto the tray upstand thus avoiding the fill-in pieces moving up the wall as I go. In addition, attaching a baton across would puncture the tanking coat or is it a case of filling screw / nail holes with silicone?
I'm guessing its a visual thing? Or is it more simply that its easier to get the first row on level?

The shower is floor to ceiling, has two internal corners, is open to the front with a hinged door spanning the alcove, to be refitted once tiled.
I decide which wall is going to overlap which and don't tile right into the internal corner but leave an expansion gap of about a tile spacer width against the wall edge. The same applies with each ajoining wall. Similarly I don't grout into the corner but silcone the join, colour matched with the grout. Am I right?

Any advice greatfully received.

B.

B

bakerloo

Not wrong. Lasted 18 months before leaking, re-silconed again and again, fitted quadrant etc etc. Ended up ripping the whole thing out. Found out all that would never of worked anyway as there were several culprits, and not just the builder. I just ended up chasing the leak around (Not a bizarre Max Boyce fantasy you understand). I'll have replaced the ceiling below twice by the time it's all finished so she ain't gonna leak, she can't leak, I command it not to leak. Amen

Reply to The last Hurdle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m putting down 800x800x10mm porcelain floor tiles. Floor area is 2m x 2.7m, 18mm chipboard. I added loads...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.