Search the forum,

Discuss Terracotta disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Piper61

I have Fired Earth pammets that had linseed applied and a fired earth seal...told we didn't need to wax etc if we did this.
They have never looked great...but now they look even worse.
I cleaned the walls with sugar soap and some of it dripped on the floor...consequently there are pale splash marks all over the floor...it seems to have taken the colour out of them.
What can I do? I have asked in several shops - I either get blank looks or tuts and told I need to strip them right back and start again.

I have just given them a good clean with Liberon Stone Floor Cleaner and it's come up nice and clean - but shows the marks even more...(I've been in denial for a 6 months, hoping the marks would go away!)

Water stays on the tiles for ages (1 hr) so I have always assumed they were sealed...

Does anyone have any similar experience? Or helpful suggestions?
Cheers!

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome...

Some pics would help us see what you have and take it from there..:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

:welcome:to the forum

leaving the problem for 6 months might be adding to it unfortuanately!

as above some pics will be helpful

T

Time's Ran Out

What response have you had from Fired Earth.
Did you fix them yourself or did you have a recommended FE installation done.
Sounds to me as though the sugar soap has removed the seal allowing moisture to penetrate the terracotta.
You can try Nitromorse on a discreet area to see if it strips the seal - oil again when thoroughly dry - and either wax or reseal.
The joys of Terracotta!

Oh! - Welcome.

D

DHTiling

If you need to strip the linseed so you can reapply then this is good gear..

LTP Power Stripper

Description: LTP Power Stripper is one of the few products on the market capable of breaking down oxidised boiled linseed oil from the surface of terracotta. With powerful amines, ammonia and alkalinity that penetrate and help lift the hardest, heaviest films, it is ideal for intensive cleaning of heavily contaminated vitrified quarry tiles, glazed ceramics and porcelain. Strips most things first time thereby minimising labour costs.

Tips: Pick this product if you have heavily soiled surfaces, old layers of sealer, oxidised boiled linseed oil, residual grout on the surface of limestone....

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

but the wax might be problem... Bri wax is a good one but now a days i like to use modern sealers.. better protection.IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Piper61

Pics attached...new to this so I hope they work!

Thanks for your responses so far :smilewinkgrin:

Attachments

• floor1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 62
  • floor2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 54
D

DHTiling

It is as john said i think.. it has removed the enhancement of the sealer..

Nothing that can't be put right..

P

Piper61

Ok so I have treated the floor with LTP Power Stripper...but other than being a bit cleaner it doesn't seem to have done anything...splash marks are the same! Doesn't seem to have penetrated the linseed at all.

Any more thoughts? Would prefer not to use nitromors unless it really is the last option.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ok so I have treated the floor with LTP Power Stripper...but other than being a bit cleaner it doesn't seem to have done anything...splash marks are the same! Doesn't seem to have penetrated the linseed at all.

Any more thoughts? Would prefer not to use nitromors unless it really is the last option.

Try every product on the market you like :mad2: - and then come back and ask again and my answer will be the same Nitromorse ( but as already stated test an area first). Why for £6 would it be your last resort?

Reply to Terracotta disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen