Search the forum,

Discuss technical question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

does turning a heat mat on from minimum to maximum twice a day adversely effect the bond between a porcelain tile and the adhesive , temparture range +- 18 /20 degrees heat mat over insulation boards, no levelling compound, direct bonding to wires, flexi adhesive ?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You need to turn the temp up a few degrees at a time, over a period of time. 2-3 degrees a day until you reach operating temp.

i always tell customers to take a week.

G

Gazzer

As above and after that it should be fine. No one is going to go through all thats each time they want the heating on.

U

Uheat - Keith

As CJ & Sir Ramic above.

Feed back to us on installation:-
95%:- After the UFH Mats/Cables are installed, a powdered flexible self-leveling compound is used to cover the underfloor heating, leave 24 hours, then a powdered flexible tile adhesive is used to fix the floor finish.
5%:- After the UFH Mats/Cables are installed, a powdered flexible tile adhesive is used to cover the underfloor heating and to fix the floor finish in one stage. If this way is for you, must use plastic or wooden Trowel.

Warm regards,

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think what Gary is asking is in regard to general use rather than commissioning...

G

Gazzer

Yes and that is what I have answered...and after that ( read CJs post) you only need to turn heating on.
So....
1st time the heating is switched on after drying period has elapsed for the adhesive and grout, turn on slowly and increase in small increments. ( usually 2 or 3 degrees at a time) Until it has reached full temp.
Some people have said it should be left at full for a few days and then lowered in the same way but I have never lowered it like that.
Next time you want to turn heating on again from cold then as far as I am aware its fine to just turn it on full.
I am sure U-Heat can either confirm or deny this...either way we all learn something.

U

Uheat - Keith

As Sir Ramic's post above "after drying period has elapsed for the adhesive and grout, turn on slowly and increase in small increments"
Same as running in a brand new car, you are getting the Heating Element and the compound to work together as one unit, so small increments at first is always a good idea.
Program controller to your life style thereafter. Over the coming years, the heat up time should slowly come down.
This system is called a direct acting system as the heat gets to the surface over a short space of time.
Heating Element and the compound work together as one unit.
Other system is the in-screed systems (Storage) - our office had this system installed in 2006, with 65mm screed over higher output cables (17w/m)
It now gives off heat the whole day, sometimes after only putting power into system 4% of time (of last 24 hours - overnight) 24hr x 60min = 1440 min :- 100 =14.4min x 4 = 57.60min. 1 hour of power in for a whole days heat out the next day.

S

Spud

Yes I am talking about operating the heating system once its all cured from minimum to maximum twice daily as I have had 2 floors with loose tiles in the same home, the h/o claims the heating wasnt used for 18 months after the work was completed, I resin injected both floors one has re bonded the other still has a loose tile on it I used insulation board and directly bonded over the cables with ptb we did loads of other work in this house no other issues

Reply to technical question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen