Currently reading:
tax partner or employee

Discuss tax partner or employee in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

As far as I see it, if your wife was not going into customers houses and doing work then why would she need public liability insurance.
As for employers liability, it all depends on how likely you think she will be to claim injuries against you if she slip, tripped or fell in the home while doing clerical duties :lol:

In short, no, I cannot see any reason to need her insured if she will have nothing to do with on site work.

S

stumac

cheers mate what i am getting at is if she is a partner then she is self employed and by law must have public liability(i think) but if she is employed then i think by law i would need employers liability.
she does the work at the moment but i feel i could be taking advantage of her tax free entiliment ie £5000 odd a year she can earn without paying tax so less profit for me so lower tax bill but i want to make sure i cover all the angles

G

grumpygrouter

Hello Stumac, if your wife becomes a partner in the business, then you are operating under a different legal format business wise. You would need to adjust your insurance to cover a partnership format. The public liability part may not have any effect as usually in my experience, the insureres ask how many people are actually needing cover. If your wife operated just on a clerical basis then she would not require cover. Best to get advice from your insurers. if you want to employ her then you are tallking about a whole different ball game! You would need employers liability and you would also be required to comply with ALL the legislation regarding employment.

There is a big discussion going on in another thread about this. If it was me, I would go for the partnership.!!:thumbsup:

Grumpy

G

grumpygrouter

thanks mate thats what i was looking for. and thanks fekin i posted this on another forum(not tiling and havent had any replys) grumpy if i want to make my wife a partner do i just phone inland revenue and the insurers or do i have to get it done proffesionally
All you need to do is notify the HMRC that your wife (she will have to do it) is going self employed. They will send out a booklet and you fill in the forms - you should have gone through the same procedure - You then need to decide a date for your change of entity form Sole Trader to Partnership and inform HMRC of this date. I would suggest you discuss this with your accountant or advisor for your current business, to arrive at the most appropriate date for this. There are some tax implications so please don't do it without consulting someone, even HMRC would probably advise you if you spoke to them. Once you know your change over date, inform your bank and your insurers and anybody else you deal with on a day to day business basis. Your bank may want to open a new account for you and close your old one.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stumac

All you need to do is notify the HMRC that your wife (she will have to do it) is going self employed. They will send out a booklet and you fill in the forms - you should have gone through the same procedure - You then need to decide a date for your change of entity form Sole Trader to Partnership and inform HMRC of this date. I would suggest you discuss this with your accountant or advisor for your current business, to arrive at the most appropriate date for this. There are some tax implications so please don't do it without consulting someone, even HMRC would probably advise you if you spoke to them. Once you know your change over date, inform your bank and your insurers and anybody else you deal with on a day to day business basis. Your bank may want to open a new account for you and close your old one.

Grumpy

thanks again i did do this when i set up and i will discuss with business gateway advisor but sounds the way ahead to me. just one more question if you dont mind can i back date three months as per the going self employed rule of informing hmrc within three months

G

grumpygrouter

Stuart, once you are set up as a partnership, just drop a letter to your Tax Office telling them you are a partnership and give details of who the parners are. If you are able to, give them both of the partners NI numbers and UTR's if you have them and tell them the date that you started trading as a parnership. They will probably write back and ask who the "managing" partner is for signature purposes and they will issue a separate UTR for the partnership.

Good luck. Any more questions, just ask.

Grumpy

Reply to tax partner or employee in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.