Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

I've been converted to ardex. It sticks like a good un and goes off quick. Write off any tools that come in contact!!

Soak them quickly, in hot water is poss. It will resoften if you get them in quickly enough.
Ruins clothes though!

R

Rossymcg

What primer are you using and diluting it to the correct ratio?
With the palace tanking I used the primer that came in their kit and mixed it as per their instructions 1 and 4, with the mega paint I used mega sbr as per their instructions 1 in 3, people say mix it to different strengths but I mix it to the instructions and then I'm never done it wrong come a situation like this,
how much is the Ardex one? I don't really trade with ctd,

C

Colour Republic

Couple of questions for you.

how are you applying the tanking? Brush, roller, trowel?
how thick are you applying it, 0.5m 1/2/3/5..mm?

lastly when it peels from the wall, what can you sea underneath, bare plaster or primer?

R

Rossymcg

Couple of questions for you.

how are you applying the tanking? Brush, roller, trowel?
how thick are you applying it, 0.5m 1/2/3/5..mm?

lastly when it peels from the wall, what can you sea underneath, bare plaster or primer?

brushing on the tanking, palace tanking is the thick rubbery type that went on about 1 mm thick applied as per the instructions,
the mega tanking only goes on thin maybe 0.5mm has to be painted on in one direction 1st coat then opposite way next coat,
when it's peeling from the wall the primer is coming away from the plaster, on the back of the peeled tanking its a pink plaster coloured haze

C

Colour Republic

So it is the primer which is failing then.

Are using the primer neat? in not and you are diluting then what ratio?

Basically the primer is too strong and is drying out before it can get a good bond to the plaster.

C

Colour Republic

To be fair after just reading the destructions it could be miss read.

However it should be 3:1. But with very dry plaster I would be inclined to do 2 coats. one at maybe 4:1 then one coat at 2:1. But check with technical.

R

Rossymcg

I never get the plasterer to over polish, people think it's the sign of good plastering when it looks like glass but the emulsion doesn't key in to it,
i sanded it anyway always do when I'm adhering anything to it,
with the palace tanking I mixed 100ml of palace sbr primer with 400mls of water,
with the mega tanking I mixed 100ml of mega sbr with 300ml of water, this is exactly what the instructions say on the bottles,
ive dine everything right, one rep said to me they'd had problems with thistle finish and peeling but these walls are plastered with multi finish

Reply to Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen