Currently reading:
Sunken Grout

Discuss Sunken Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I'd appreciate advice on this.

We 65M2 of 600 x 600 Porcelain flooring, newly laid. The grout seems to be too low which mean you can feel the joints under your feet, and they are quite sharp edges. We have spoken to the tiler who says that the grout level is in line with 'industry standard'. The grout can't be topped up as it will just wash out. There are a few tiles that seem to have sunk, which need to be replaced. Another tiler has told me that the grout line is standard, but it would have been better had it been narrower for this type of tile. My questions are:

1/ What is the industry standard?
2/ What can be done about the grout? (bearing in mind that we also have underfloor heating)
3/ How big a job is this?

Your help would be very much appreciated

B

bugs183

Photo's will help us see the problem, it will depend on a few factors. Are the tiles rectified (sawn) these have a very definite edge and do can have an obvious edge even after grouting.
What kind of underfloor heating is it, electric or water???
As for sorting the problem, it can be done. The joints can't be refilled as said, these will need to be regrouted by removing the grout mechanically (there are tools out there that have depth gauges so they won't damage the heating). Then regrouted.
It's not a pleasant job, noisy and dusty if vacuums aren't used.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures available and I won't be in the house for several days to get some. The grout line is about 8mm and the grout drops 2 - 3mm below the surface. The tiles are rectified but not polished.
They are uneven in places and also cut badly in a couple of others, so about 12 will have to be replaced. Does anyone have a particular tool they recommend? I do feel a bit sorry for the tiler as this is a very large area and I really hate to criticise someones work when I know they have worked hard, so although there is no way of getting away from the fact that some rectification is necessary I want to make it as easy as possible for the tiler. He may well have a tool that will remove the grout without damaging the tile, but if he hasn't I would be willing to buy one, or at least contribute towards the cost.

G

Gazzer

Hmmm you sound great, I bet your tiler loves you but you are obviously not happy with the work so it really should be down to the tiler putting the work right at his/her own expense.
Tools to remove grout can be either a hand tool (New Blackspur Tile Rake Tungsten Carbide Blade Grout Remover DIY Tool 5017403027430 | eBay ), A grout removal tool like this Electric Grout Remover | eBay
A fein Multimaster Tradetiler tilers Fein Multimaster
An Exactsaw DC270 Deep Cut Exakt Saw with Wooden 5 Blade Case | Exakt Precision Tools | eBay
Or an angle grinder with either a standard diamond wheel or a grout removal wheel like this TradeTiler.Ltd

E

enduro

Here you go.Exakt saw. Glendale Manor Farm 009.jpg Glendale Manor Farm 008.jpg

F

Flintstone

I would very much doubt they are 8mm joints and a 3mm dip, I'm sure That's just a guess, as said pics would really help in this situation for the right advice to be given! I wouldn't rush into getting any power tools on the job just yet. If the joints are really that low they can be 'topped up' as for the poor cutting etc again pics would help us to see if it's generally acceptable or just how bad it is.

Reply to Sunken Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.